Writing nonfiction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone research and write a nonfiction book? I am toying with the idea and would like to hear others' experiences.

love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Yes, I did. It started out as a thesis for a graduate degree, but I knew all along that I wanted it to become a book. Here’s some info about it: http://www.enrichedbycatastrophe.blogspot.com

Because mine was historical, most of my research was done in archives. I managed to finish up the research a couple of weeks before my daughter was born. Then, when she was about 4 months old, I started to plan out the outline and to write. I promised myself I would write a page a day, but usually I did much more than that. Luckily for me, she was a good, dependable napper, and I usually had a good three or four hours a day to write.

A year and a half later, after my second baby was born, I decided it was time to revise the thesis and send it out to publishers. In retrospect, this distance between finishing the thesis and revisiting it was good…it gave me some distance, and the words weren’t so close to me and I could be much more critical. I spent a month or so on the revisions (I could have/should have spent more time, but ignorance is bliss). I was very lucky, because just three months later, I had an interested publisher!

I’m now working on a novel, but I also have a full-time job in addition to two small children. So, the novel may take about 12 years to complete!

Good luck with your project, and let me know if you have any other questions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page