Looking for input in starting a writing program! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-04-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello fellow wordsmiths --

I am trying to start a writing program a program with poor women and children (in a halfway house -- formerly homeless women). The rules of the house are fairly strict, no TV, no leaving after 8 PM, etc. I visit with them fairly often and have found that they have very limited access to therapy, which many of them desperately need, and limited access to anything to occupy them in a creative way. Their days are spent training for work/looking for work, and caring for their children. Several of them have the most amazing stories, of grief and of triumph, and have expressed interest in chronicling their life stories or even just doing some writing exercises as an outlet.

It's all brand-new as far the planning goes. Many of them have little formal education and none of them have any history of writing as a creative endeavor.

The families stay at the home for 3 months, generally, and so I am trying to develop some kind of program that will give them some basic practice in writing in different genres, something that will allow them to use the written word to let out pent up emotions, and I want them to have something tangible at the end of their stay -- a chapbook or writing notebook, anything.

I would love your suggestions... my own background is in poetry and nonfiction, though I've written some short-shorts as well.

JS
#2 of 2 Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would perhaps introduce them to journalling. Either online or on paper. (Oh and you could give them really fancy books--which are relatively inexpensive--there's nothing nicer than writing in a beautiful book.)

Perhaps a structured program with specific topics (my hardest decision, the happiest day etc...) and have them meet to share entries with each other?? You could also combine a specific writing craft lesson with journal topic--i.e. cover Point of view, description, adverbs, genres etc...

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page