And so it begins...the MDC NaNoWriMo Thread! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You CAN finish! Just keep plugging away at it. It's all about baby steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 AM

[QUOTEhttp://watchout4snakes.com/creativit...mWordPlus.aspx[/QUOTE]

I really like this link . . .although the first two words were AND and DITTO RENT was next and it was actually helpful!

If you get really stuck check out the ideas at the Young Writers' ProgramL http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/views/writers_block Some are more getting basic writing ideas, but who know what could be helpful!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Whew. I closed out the day with 38,735 words. 4550 today.

Kind of a push there at the end, but got some interesting stuff, and a twist i hadn't seen coming.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 AM

I finally broke the halfway point! Which means I'm 4 days behind. But I (barely) made my goal today, so if I can keep up 2300 words a day then I will finish. Now, off to bed... :yawning:
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Ack! At this point, I'll be happy to "win" by getting to the halfway point! I have gotten my work all finished and submitted. BUT, it's the last week of school before summer vacation (not to gloat or anything, but our sunny warm season is on the way )

So, I have to make gifts for the teachers, and Thanksgiving is coming, and our car is off at the shop getting buffed and detailed for sale, and DH is off to the farm, so I have to take the bus to go pick up DD at school because taxis don't pass by our house up here in the mountains .... In other words, I don't expect to get much done this week

I'm going to shoot for halfway by the end of the month ... If I get there, hopefully the momentum will have built up enough that it will carry me through even after NaNo.

But the rest of you: GO! GO! GO! (cheerleader smiley)
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
YOu can totally finish it! YOu are past halfway! I mean, if you got this far, you can totally wrap it up.
Aww, thanks! This was very uplifting to read. I finally finished 1900 words last night, so not super bad, considering how slow my brain was moving yesterday. I feel a bit sharper today, thank goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
You CAN finish! Just keep plugging away at it. It's all about baby steps.
Thank you! All of the encouragement really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almama View Post
I really like this link . . .although the first two words were AND and DITTO RENT was next and it was actually helpful!

If you get really stuck check out the ideas at the Young Writers' ProgramL http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/views/writers_block Some are more getting basic writing ideas, but who know what could be helpful!
Both good tips, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
I finally broke the halfway point! Which means I'm 4 days behind. But I (barely) made my goal today, so if I can keep up 2300 words a day then I will finish. Now, off to bed... :yawning:
Go you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
Ack! At this point, I'll be happy to "win" by getting to the halfway point! I have gotten my work all finished and submitted. BUT, it's the last week of school before summer vacation (not to gloat or anything, but our sunny warm season is on the way )
Awww, good for you for keeping with it and not getting discouraged. (I'm a goober that way! )

And, you can have your sunny weather-- we got our first snow this morning and I am IN LOVE!!!!! I love snow.

Now, when I wa so discouraged last night, my dh gave me some great advice and perspective. He said, "so, you have a great story that you love, up to the halfway point. Now you're scared to keep writing because you might ruin it. So what? So you have half of a great story! If you have to, you can always rewrite the whole second half later on! What you write now is just for fun, so don't worry about it so much. Bring in a pygmy elephant if you want to! Who cares!" His advice really helped me. I need to, once again, let go of my worries and perfectionism and just let it be fun again. Figured I'd share that in case someone else needed it.

This isn't about the story now. There's no time for that. If it happens to just spill out perfectly, great, but if it doesn't, just record what comes out anyway. It's about the word count, people.

Now, let's get writing!!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM

I'm going to TRY to hit 30,000 today. We'll see what really happens, but that's the goal for today. I know I'll be so excited when I can hit 30,000. I'll be updating my word count in my siggie often. I'm like that.

Oh, and how ridiculous was the Bachelor Finale? What the heck was THAT? (After shopping for an engagement ring, he said goodbye/broke up with BOTH girls!) But he ALMOST picked my favorite.

ETA: Just for the record, I'm at 27,214 as of this writing!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post

Oh, and how ridiculous was the Bachelor Finale? What the heck was THAT? (After shopping for an engagement ring, he said goodbye/broke up with BOTH girls!) But he ALMOST picked my favorite.

ETA: Just for the record, I'm at 27,214 as of this writing!
YEAH on your word count, you can so catch up and make it still!

As for the bachelor, it reconfirms my earlier (in the show) statements that he is a Jerk. He could have said, hey I picked you I want to date ONLY YOU for awhile and see if this is for real or if its from the show or whatever. He didn't have to send her away! I want to watch tonight, but I don't think I'll be home.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Now, when I wa so discouraged last night, my dh gave me some great advice and perspective. He said, "so, you have a great story that you love, up to the halfway point. Now you're scared to keep writing because you might ruin it. So what? So you have half of a great story! If you have to, you can always rewrite the whole second half later on! What you write now is just for fun, so don't worry about it so much. Bring in a pygmy elephant if you want to! Who cares!" His advice really helped me. I need to, once again, let go of my worries and perfectionism and just let it be fun again. Figured I'd share that in case someone else needed it.

This isn't about the story now. There's no time for that. If it happens to just spill out perfectly, great, but if it doesn't, just record what comes out anyway. It's about the word count, people.
Great advice! I've been trying to make a cohesive story, but at this point I'm bored. I keep getting all these ideas for other stories--I may as well work them into this one! Who cares if the story doesn't make any sense? I can always pull out those parts and develop them on their own later if I like them. Pygmy elephants it is!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm going to be pygmy elephanting my story tonight, too. I've been trying to keep the story linear with a few flashbacks in "just the right place", but starting tonight I'm going to be writing all over the time line. I'll just move things around to where they're supposed to be when I write the 2nd draft. Since I was planning on rewriting this a million times anyway, a little time line craziness will be no big deal
Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Red

Quote:
I call the overnarration my laundry list writing. She went here and did this, then she went there and did that. She did this over here and then that over there. Ah well - that's what editing is for.

Ha, that's what I'll call it from now on too! I like that.

I'm just barely keeping up and I'm going to lose three days for Thanksgiving! YIKES! I may not make the word count, but I can't upload it anyway. No matter what, I have tens of thousands more words this month than I did last month!

I'm still trying to get there though. What ARE you all doing posting here when You could be writing?!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 AM

I did it!! I did it!! It is really horrible writing, I mean, it's pretty bad, but I got to 30,000!

Yay.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 AM

Just broke 40K. Yahoo!

All I can say is...outline, outline, outline. When you know exactly what you want to accomplish in terms of plot, and you're not so worried about the quality of writing, the words come FAST.

Happy writing, mamas!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 AM

Congrats, NYCVeg! I can't wait to get there. Hopefully in two more nights, if I stick to my plan.

Congrats to you, too, LTB!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 AM

35,000 words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did about 5,000 in the last 24 hours.: I have to get ahead, as we're having company coming for Thanksgiving, and I know I won't get time to write. Keep on plugging away!!!!!!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
Old 11-21-2007, 05:33 AM

i made my goal again! still on track to hit 50k if i can keep up the 2300 words a day. i hope the holidays help instead of set me back.

for the record, my pygmy elephanting really helped out the story! i wrote something completely unrelated, but it ended up clearing up what happened to one character i was wondering about, and bringing another character deeper into the story that i wasn't really involving enough. so now i'm getting more interested again. next time i get bored, i'll just veer off course again and see where it goes...

now if my dd would just settle down and go to sleep...
Old 11-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
crossed the 40K mark.

I will admit, I pushed out that bit this evening, even though I am wiped, simply in order to keep ahead of my little sister, who is also writing.

Not a pretty motivation, but there it is. I mean, after all, I can't let her beat me right? I did it for older sisters everywhere.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM

I wrote almost 5k words last night! Something about cracking the 30k mark made me get excited about the book again. I'm still not entirely caught up, but I'm getting there and I feel more confident that I'll be able to finish in time.

Writing out of order is helping me. Right now I'm writing scenes and descriptions that are out of chronological order in red text so I can easily find whatever is misplaced when I do the 2nd draft.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Red

Quote:
I did it for older sisters everywhere.

COngrats and thanks. I'm the big sis around here.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 PM

I'm way behind on words for today, but I just wanted to announce that I just incorporated a literal pygmy elephant into my story.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
I will admit, I pushed out that bit this evening, even though I am wiped, simply in order to keep ahead of my little sister, who is also writing.

Not a pretty motivation, but there it is. I mean, after all, I can't let her beat me right? I did it for older sisters everywhere.
As a little sister, I can honestly say that if my big sister were writing, I would be working twice as hard and may even be done by now - lol. I would feel the need to finish before her for sure! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
I'm way behind on words for today, but I just wanted to announce that I just incorporated a literal pygmy elephant into my story.
I haven't put in an actual pygmy elephant yet, but I did finally, after 35,000 words, describe the town in which my story takes place. It's not the most exciting chapter, but I'm surprised at how fast 2,000 words went.

I'm one of the all action writers and have been pretty light on the decriptions, so I figure when/if I edit this later, I can break this chapter up and sprinkle it in here and there - lol.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Red

A Thanksgiving challenge for everyone who doesn't have time to write for the next few days.....

200 words a day, just to keep in practice. If worse comes to worse, I'm sneaking my notebook into the bathroom with me.

I was just wondering...how could I get a pygmy elephant into my story. It would be such a bizarre twist!

Have a great day, write a few words!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a mild case of block and a bad, bad case of procrastination. The characters took things a direction I wasn't expecting, and then I got to a breaking point where it's time to go to the next act of the story, and I frankly haven't the vaguest notion what to happen next.

I'm debating thrusting parenthood (without the help of patriarchally trained womenfolk doing most of it) onto my MC's...and debating whether main-MC needs to come out of the "I'm an alien and I've got a twelve foot wingspan I don't wanna hide under a coat" closet, and if he does, what's going to happen? And should I do both at once?

So while I am not completely blocked and out of ideas, I've impromptu thrown together a Thanksgiving dinner at my place instead of accepting a hassle-free invite to someone else's, cleaned for several days, done some SEWING for pete's sake, and been using DH's computer because the novel is on mine.

Oh, yeah. Total procrastination mode. And I'm not quite to 30K words...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm a bit late jumping in here, but I am doing NaNo and am at 48K and some change. It's been a struggle to keep writing and I've taken a few days off to move back to L.A. from Canada but writing in scenes and not chronologically has really helped me get this far. Hope you're all doing well

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 11-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
I'm a bit late jumping in here, but I am doing NaNo and am at 48K and some change.
Welcome! Nice word count

I wasn't planning to write last night, but my son fell asleep early after a day of turkey and running around my parents' house. I managed to do more than 2k words! Still a little bit behind, but I've got momentum now and I'm not worried about making it to 50k.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 PM

but i've only written one page. i love story ~it's in my head...and seems to be stuck there....i want to release it, but am still not able. hopefully i'll release the beast into a notebook before the year is through~that's my new reachable goal.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 AM

Welcome Bella and zenfullmama!

I just made it to 40K. I'm going to try to outline the rest of the story tomorrow so I can wrap it up in the last 10 thousand words. It's almost over!!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Red

I managed about 1000 woords a day the days I thought I wouldn't write at all! Another 2000 today. Just short of what I'd like, but chugging along.

Still not sure of the ending. : Hope it comes quick. Not sure this would make a commercial entrprise, though my plan from the beginning was to learn to write a hot love scene. (read: sex scene) I've worked out some hot scenarios, but not to, um, completion. I'll have to be sure to fit one of those in soon.

I'm really looking forward to a bunch of you sticking around and working on our re-writes together!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Must . .get . .back . .into . .writing . .

Thanksgiving was soooooo draining and now I'm all bugging about XMas gifts. Sigh! Tomorrow I'll get back on the horse

Glad to see some of you still going strong!!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 AM

almama, I hear you on that! I am so behind on the Christmas gifts I'm making, but I figure I still have a month to do all that, but only a week or so to finish Nano!!!! 42,000 and counting....

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby

User Tag List