And so it begins...the MDC NaNoWriMo Thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Rollin', rollin', rollin'.....

I like getting up to write first thing....jumps start my day.

So far so good 2843 words this morning.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#62 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I definitely have that fear of imperfection thing . . .
Hmmmm .... must be a writer´s thing!

Read Twocoolboys siggie quote. I read this elsewhere last year before NaNo, and it is what inspired me to get over it, and write!
#63 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Subbing! I'm making pretty good headway considering I could barely get a chance to pee w/ 6mo DD being so needy yesterday! third time nano'ing but first time w/ a child. I'm doing a sequel to last year's NaNo novel, and it's sorta planned but still messy so room for discovery! it's a fantasy set in a pretty realistic version of the southwest, sorta based on the Demeter/Persephone myth and a bit of lost paradise/the fall as well. But mostly it's really terrible dialogue and over-wordy description
#64 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Need a name for a mysterious uncle who is really a magician (I think .) He's young; maybe in his 30s. Modern-day America setting. The MC is suspicious of him so I want his name to sound forbidding, but that's probably too much to ask for. I'm bad at coming up with names!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#65 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM

LionTigerBear--Festus, Grimm

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#66 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Ooooh, those are good; thanks!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#67 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 05:17 PM

LionTigerBear--On that German theme . . .Torsten and Faulk.

Something Biblical might work too. There are so many meanings to the Biblical names that they often get folk's heads spinning.

I'm unfortunately finding that snacking is helping
#68 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 PM

I'm heading to my grandparents house on Cape Cod for the weekend. I probably won't have internet access, but hopefully will get lots of writing done! I am a little nervous about being "offline" because I find myself constantly googling things to look up a detail for my story. Well, if I'm not here all weekend, have a great time writing, and thanks for all the encouragement!

LionTigerBear, I love the suggestions you've gotten so far, and I'm with almama that the Bible is full of wierd sounding names if you're still stuck!
#69 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Thank you, almama and Caren! I think it's neat that you are both in my general area, too. Not that I plan on getting out at all. Have fun in Cape Cod, Caren-- that sounds like fun! I am being so distracted by my two boys today, I was briefly driven to tears earlier today. I just can't FOCUS long enough to get more than one or two sentences out at a time, and then I lose my train of thought. I am beginning to realize that most of my writing-- or at least the better part of it-- will probably be happening in the evenings after they go to bed.

I am at 3075, now. 1000 more to finish today. Or tonight.

#70 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Need a name for a mysterious uncle who is really a magician (I think .) He's young; maybe in his 30s. Modern-day America setting. The MC is suspicious of him so I want his name to sound forbidding, but that's probably too much to ask for. I'm bad at coming up with names!
I think the name Clive is a little bit on the sinister side without being too "obvious", if that makes any sense at all
#71 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Ok I'm joining! I signed up for the site and SLOWLY got around it (every time I have been to it it is obnoxiously slow!) and I know how to add my word count. However, when I was reading one of the stickies in the tech. forum it mentioned you can add your text in and it'll count up your words and adjust the number if need be. It said you did that right under the word count box. So I went to check it out and there is no place to do that. There is the excerpt box but the way the post sounded that is a totally different box (it even said not to abuse it!). So where do I do that? Am I just being dumb and not seeing it?

Off to get started!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#72 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 PM

3472 and still working at it . . . this is like pulling teeth right now. : When will it start flowing for me? I kind of like how it's coming out though. Don't know why it's all so painful. I'm a goober I guess. :

#73 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm at 4063. I think things are flowing for me because my main character pretty much IS me.
#74 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Just finished day 2. I'm at 3,429, so I'm right on track. It's flowing pretty well for me so far. I did want to get a day in early on where I do 5,000 words. Maybe this weekend. Otherwise, I'm sticking pretty close to the minimum for the day.
#75 of 369 Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
Hmmmm .... must be a writer´s thing!

Read Twocoolboys siggie quote. I read this elsewhere last year before NaNo, and it is what inspired me to get over it, and write!

I love that quote. I find it very inspiring!
#76 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator

2623 word this morning. Took me a full two hours, a little longer than normal. Getting tougher to get some of those words out. More pauses, more coffee. It is funny to look at the story and realize how far I have to go before I get to the end. I have a loooong way to go.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#77 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Ok I'm joining! I signed up for the site and SLOWLY got around it (every time I have been to it it is obnoxiously slow!) and I know how to add my word count. However, when I was reading one of the stickies in the tech. forum it mentioned you can add your text in and it'll count up your words and adjust the number if need be. It said you did that right under the word count box. So I went to check it out and there is no place to do that. There is the excerpt box but the way the post sounded that is a totally different box (it even said not to abuse it!). So where do I do that? Am I just being dumb and not seeing it?

Off to get started!
Nope, not being dumb. They took the word counter/verification thingy offline since the site is being so slow, and that makes it even slower. So while they figure out speed issues, you just count your own words, and enter it.

#78 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Okay, my total word count today is 5084- so far. I am seriously jealous of your word count, Adina. Hey, at least I am making "quota" so far. 10% done so far! Yay!

Oh, and I got some basic plot points and a very basic outline squared away too, that is helping the writing flow a little more easily.

I still feel like my brain feels very foggy, though. It makes this harder.

#79 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Grrr, I am so frustrated right now. After we had agreed that he would take the boys for a couple of hours this afternoon so that I could write, DH just came out and said that now he has this lengthy final that's due today for one of his internet courses. How do you forget that you have a final due? He says it will take quite some time to finish. And of course he'll need the computer.

Plus he wanted to know if I have enough dinner planned to feed all of his family tonight. Um, no. Plus I don't time to do a family dinner tonight-- hello, did I mention I'm trying to write a novel here?????

Okay, vent over.

#80 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

!! LTB!

I'm managing to get writing in with DD's morning nap, despite her being latched on or cuddled up against my left arm... I just type with one hand or rest my arm on her head

I'm just sad that I don't think I can make as much of the local saturday write-ins as I did previous years. I used to go and hang out all day and get huge amounts done, and I have good nano friends. But there's just no where to put DD there, like a high chair that would fascinate her by being novel (no pun intended), just hard stone/tile floors she's so difficult to wrangle lately, I don't think I could do the laptop and her. Pointless. Ah well, maybe I'll go over just to say hi and check in... sort of a long drive tho.

Back to the novel! I am still in the opening scene, the "shark attack" if you will. three days in and I'm just hoping to wrap it up! I guess I won't be sad if the story isn't done this month, b/c it really deserves to be much longer than 50K...
#81 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 PM

oops! i'm about to be stuck i think. i hope this story has a mind of its own, because it isn't turning out like i planned. my main character was just born, and apparently everything that i meant to happen during her life (and be the plot!) has already happened before she was ever born! i'm kind of identifying with her mother anyway--her mom may end up being the MC!

i'm way behind today because we went to the zoo instead of writing. it was fun though!
#82 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 05:15 PM

So here I am writing after all. DH came to his darling senses and said he would do his exam this evening, and even stay up late if necessary. That's my guy. : I was really touched. Now he's taken the boys to Chuck E. Cheese's, and here I am typing away . . . 5209 . . .

#83 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM

6001!!! :

Haven't been able to log into the NaNo website at all this afternoon . . .

#84 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Way to go. I was just able to get into Nano, but briefly. Haven't updated my total yet. Am just shy of 5000.

Anyone having trouble with action? I keep writing and thinking, "readers would be bored with this." It's more of a storytelling venture than I'd expected, and the characters aren't experiencing enough drama. The conflicts are internal I suppose...and I wonder if they are conveying well on paper...
#85 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfuteach View Post
Anyone having trouble with action? I keep writing and thinking, "readers would be bored with this." It's more of a storytelling venture than I'd expected, and the characters aren't experiencing enough drama. The conflicts are internal I suppose...and I wonder if they are conveying well on paper...
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You know, quantity not quality. I have some action but it seems a little bit boring too-- just the way I'm telling it I guess. But, I know most of it should smooth out easily with a little rewriting. It's easy for me to figure out how something should read when I'm reading it on paper, but not so much on the screen, I don't know why. I'm great with editing, just not so much with finishing things, so that's why I think NaNo will be good for me!

Yeah, storytelling is such a huge part of it. It's going so much more easily for me now that I have a basic kind of outline figured out. It's just a simple plan that calls for a couple of points to hit in each chapter and gives me a basic idea of where my story is going next, without being too limiting.

#86 of 369 Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Readers? Are we supposed to be caring about readers?

Actually the reader I care about is my DS (7) who reads really well and is trying to get a peek of what I'm doing. It is not R, but it is definitely not PG!!

I think it comes down to why we are doing it. Wouldn't it be nice to be a published author with all the life trappings? I was thinking of it as running a marathon. No one would ever confuse the last runner chugging along at a marathon with an Olympian, but as long as you give it a whirl, it will always be one of your life achievements. Yes, I have a pretty low bar, but it meets my needs right now
#87 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Red

I'm well under way. (which is why I haven't posted yet. ) 5980 so far. THat's a ropugh count as I'm doing it all out longhand. I'll type it out on days when I have no concentration.

Readers? I'm deliberately NOT considering readers. I'm just writing. My big problem in the past has been wondering how a certain part would go over with my readers. So, I'm ignoring them.

No luck with the nano site.

Back to my novel!
#88 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 01:12 AM

I'm still plugging along at the minimum for each day. I'm happy with the direction my novel is going so far. I don't seem to have trouble with action, but I do have trouble with the emotions. I don't think thats coming across for my mc. Any tips on how to show his emotions a little better without out right stating them? (He's 11 years old).
#89 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 03:43 AM

DS thought it would be funny to dump a glass of water on my laptop last night...So I am about 3000 words behind

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#90 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
DS thought it would be funny to dump a glass of water on my laptop last night...So I am about 3000 words behind
Oh no! Is it working, or has it gone to laptop heaven?

TwoCoolBoys: I think the best way to show emotions without stating them is to get inside his head as much as possible. By showing exactly what he's thinking, I think you can be incredibly illustrative. Also, somethng I always find myself doing is using conversation. Saying, "Katherine replied quietly, trying not to anger Joseph any further than she already had." Better than just saying, Joseph was p!ssed off.

But...what do I know...I'm winging it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page