And so it begins...the MDC NaNoWriMo Thread! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Oh phoebe!!! That's awful! Let it all dry out, take it apart as much as you can to let the inside dry out....maybe it will be okay.

Cranking along here. 2402 today. Getting a little harder to get started...I have started writing myself notes at the end of each day's writing to jump start myself. Characters are talking, and seemingly growing. We'll see.

Whew. This is fun.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#92 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help!!!! I started on thursday while on a trip and haven't been able to get back to it much. I only have 2000 words. We got back at 11:30 last night and I'm whipped from a week with the inlaws and a long driving trip. and I don't like my story. It's just a along rant. And I can't work out the characters. Yuck!!! I hate this.
#93 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfpintj View Post
Help!!!! I started on thursday while on a trip and haven't been able to get back to it much. I only have 2000 words. We got back at 11:30 last night and I'm whipped from a week with the inlaws and a long driving trip.
First, take a break and get a little rested. But not too much of a break.

Quote:
and I don't like my story. It's just a long rant. And I can't work out the characters. Yuck!!! I hate this.
Okay, just write anyway. Don't go back and change anything. I suppose you could go back and add stuff, but don't go back and rewrite anything, just forge on ahead. If you don't like how it's coming out, go in a different direction, but if there's no way to change it to make it likeable, just write anyway! At the end at the very least you'll be able to say, "I did it." The characters will become more clear to you as you go. And again, you can go back later (in December or later) and rewrite some of the character stuff once you have a better undertsanding of them. It'll be fine. Don't worry about getting it "right"-- just try to enjoy the processas much as you can and plunge on.

As for me, I don't work on my novel on the Sabbath, so I am enjoying my day of rest now. Ahhhh. I can still make my quota if I do 2000 words a day, every day except Sundays, which I've been doing so far.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#94 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Okay mamas, I need plot help.

Why would a (single) mother sacrifice (or even kill) her own (12yo) daughter?

Thats what my MC is going to do, and I don't know why. I just know that's where this is going. It disturbs me greatly and I want to find a palatable reason for her to do it but I have a feeling this is going to be dark.

I just don't know why it's going to happen. Any ideas?

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#95 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post

Thats what my MC is going to do, and I don't know why. I just know that's where this is going. It disturbs me greatly and I want to find a palatable reason for her to do it but I have a feeling this is going to be dark.

The only reasons I can think of have to do with mental illness, like delusions that the girl was the AntiChrist or something along that line. Or, if you want to go ultra-sinister, the mother might really know that the daughter is evil a la The Bad Seed and she feels she must "put her down" before her evil is unleashed on the world.

Another reason could be accidental. Mother loses it, hits the daughter and she goes flying into a spiky ornament or flies onto a fireplace poker or something.
#96 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM

The other option might be some kind of mercy killing (like the world is too evil for her daughter, or her daughter is sick,etc) or maybe to save the life of someone else.

I'm at about 2500 words so I'm behind but doing okay. I feel like I still have lots of different ways the story can go. I'm finding myself in a bad mood at the end of my writing sessions which I didn't really expect. Anyone else having trouble transitioning out of writing mode back to real life mode?
#97 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:

i remember reading that soviet mothers sometimes drowned their small children when they were captured by allied troops after defecting. they knew when they were sent back that stalin would have them killed but their young children would be raised under the atheist communist regime--so they did it to save their souls. maybe a religious belief of some kind--saving her daughter's soul by sacrificing her body?

my MC was supposed to be taken from her mother at birth, but i couldn't bring myself to do it so i waited a few years
#98 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Yikes - it could happen if a person felt trapped and that there was no way for her daughter to be safe. Basically given up hope and going for a peace. The scenarios are numerous -she finds the daughter on the sex trade sold there by drug dealer dad . . .can't keep her safe . . . ugh it is hard to think about.
#99 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

I would think the only way I would do that to my DD was to save her from something else. Abusive dad? Being tortured? If she was so sick that she was in constant pain? Soemthing like that. Where what I was going to do would be far less horrific than what she would face alive.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#100 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:

It reminds me of Sula (is that the name of the MC) in Beloved by Toni Morrisson. She kills her kid(s) to save her/them from the slave catchers. It's so intense, but very believeable, because the reader has witnessed the horrors of slavery through the eyes of Sula.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that to let you know that it is a horrific act that can believably be carried out in love, though that doens't mean the reader is left thinking it was a good decision, just that it was understandable. Speaking of understandable, I'm not making sense tonight, so I'm going to bed!
#101 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 PM

My update - I got to todays minimum yesterday & plan to hit 8k tonight before I go to sleep, if not more than that. But at least that to keep on my own 2k/day plan.

Sorry bout the wet laptop, yikes ! One thing I've been doing, if this is helpfl to anyone, is to upload my document into my Googledocuments space so if something happens I have a backup copy somewhere. I have last years nano saved in there, as well as my Script Frenzy.

aisling
#102 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfuteach View Post
TwoCoolBoys: I think the best way to show emotions without stating them is to get inside his head as much as possible. By showing exactly what he's thinking, I think you can be incredibly illustrative. Also, somethng I always find myself doing is using conversation. Saying, "Katherine replied quietly, trying not to anger Joseph any further than she already had." Better than just saying, Joseph was p!ssed off.
Thanks, Kelly. That is definitely something I need to work on! I find it awkward for some reason.

I really didn't feel like writing tonight. I was so tired. But, I sat down, started typing and did 200 extra words beyond my minimum! Yay me! My goal for the week is to do an extra 200 words each day because I am having family over next Saturday for an all day early Christmas party and I know I won't want to write when it is over. I'd like to be able to skip writing that day.
#103 of 369 Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenSwan View Post
It reminds me of Sula (is that the name of the MC) in Beloved by Toni Morrisson. She kills her kid(s) to save her/them from the slave catchers. It's so intense, but very believeable, because the reader has witnessed the horrors of slavery through the eyes of Sula.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that to let you know that it is a horrific act that can believably be carried out in love, though that doens't mean the reader is left thinking it was a good decision, just that it was understandable. Speaking of understandable, I'm not making sense tonight, so I'm going to bed!

That is exactly what I thought of. I think there are so many reasons that you could choose from. You are brave!
#104 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 AM

12 hours of convincing false labor stole my writing time Friday and now I am only up to 5600 words, still very behind and not looking like I will catch up today either..... Grrrrrrr.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#105 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 AM

6333. Falling a little behind. I'll get there.
#106 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 03:37 AM

i'm falling way behind.
i hope dd lets me win this year... but i'm having fun even if i don't make it.
#107 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a day behind. Too many chores to do last night, since I'm also trying to keep up with 1 AC article a day. So, I need to do 3,500 today. Do-able...if I can find the time. We're off to nursery school, then back to wait for the boiler man, then back to nursery school, then hopefully will be able to write at naptime. Wish me luck. I need to jam on it!

I have a question, too. If you are a reader, and you know what's going to happen, can you still enjoy the book? The getting there? The "how did it come about"? Just curious about you when you read.
#108 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 AM

Guh. I am WAY behind now. Laptop needed 24 hrs but...ds won't let me write! grr.

To make things worse, "your typing is keeping me up and I have to work tomorrow"--dp. It's times like these when I wish we were 212k in the hole and had a "proper" house with more than 2 rooms! Time to go chill on the deck (and I mean chill as in it's cold...well warm for november here but still)... Wish me luck or not if you want to win!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#109 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 AM

behind too! couldn't write at all yesterday! ruby was having a bad day- crying for no reason, puking, not napping. i think she might be teething already!
#110 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfuteach View Post
I have a question, too. If you are a reader, and you know what's going to happen, can you still enjoy the book? The getting there? The "how did it come about"? Just curious about you when you read.
For me, the answer is YES! I don't need to be held in suspense to enjoy a book, though a good plot twist now and then is always great! =)

Good luck to all of you who are behind! I didn't get ANY writing done yesterday, because we were at my grandparent's house one Cape Cod and were without power! It would have been a great time to write, but my computer was dead! : Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get a lot done today, but we'll see. Fortunately I did a little extra on Saturday, so I don't have a full extra day to do.
#111 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM

Awww, good luck to everyone who is behind.

I am just getting to work writing this morning. I really enjoyed my day off and I think it really helped me unwind and rejuvenate. I highly reccomend taking a day off each week to just relax. Also I am sitting in my new desk chair now and that helps a lot too!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#112 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Okay, I've done another 1100 words this morning, so if I can crank out another 1100 or so during nap time, i should be good! It's definitely coming faster now, which is great. The MC met her love interest/impact character, so things are moving now.
#113 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

2329 this morning. I am holding to my goal - but just barely. DD woke up before I got there this morning, and I only eked it out because DH changed her diaper for me.

#114 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

I am behind, big time. I'm losing the battle with perfectionism right now. I'm having a hard time leaving things as they are and moving forward. The bright side of this, though, is that I'm actually kind of liking what I'm writing right now
#115 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Perfectionism is EVIL! Press on, brave nano'ers! The time for perfectionism is December, or perhaps January.
#116 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM

I'm sooo far behind and getting discouraged and overwhelmed. My dd is almost 5 months old and I was barely keeping up with the house already. I don't really even have a plot anymore. :
#117 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Yeah, my plot has gone away . . .I keep thinking this may be nice chopped up into a bunch of short stories
#118 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Subbing to this thread.

I'm writing a lot...a lot of the world's most boring book. There are some good moments. But some of it...wow...snoozeville. I've managed to get ahead, and I'm trying really hard to keep it that way, b/c I know there will be days when nothing gets done.

Like today...when dd decided not to nap.
#119 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Well I wrote all of 92 words, yep 92 this weekend. My fibromyalgia decided this was the weekend it would flair like it hasn't in a few years. I couldn't sit.

But I know that I do most of my "good" writing at the end of the month so I am just thinking things through for now, until I can get back to the story.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#120 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Aggh, I need to do some outlining with this chapter I'm working on-- there isn't enough happening and I need more subplot or something. It does make stuff kind of boring, having only one throughline of interesting things happening. Gotta fix that.

Oh, and I don't know who my impact character is now. I knew who he was at first, and then I went and had him disappear. you know, to up the ante as it were. Oooh, MORE people are disappearing!!! So anyway, that leaves two clear options left for who the impact character should be, but I can't decide yet . . . I'm feeling lazy right now and I wish someone would just tell me how the story goes so I can write it!

Alright, I'm gonna have it be MC's sister. I think. There, I'm being all decisive and stuff. *yawn*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page