And so it begins...the MDC NaNoWriMo Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope you're feeling better soon, Aimee.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#122 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Red

LionTigerBear, forget outlining. You'll never get enough words if you worry about plot!

Ok, I had NO idea what it was about when I started. Now I'm zooming! Apparently there's this large commune society (think Amish or Menonite, but without the religion. Multiple locations, all related) of people who are polygamists. (ok, so I watched Oprah last week) Except, theres a shortage of women, so every woman has a few husbands.

MC isn't happy about some of the rules of the society and decides to leave/escape. With her 3 small kids. I thought THAT would be the storys point, and the consequences would be the story. But nooooo. Because now I know that her dh's are going to find her pretty quick. I have no idea what happens then.

Does she escape again? FInd happiness in the commune? Find a way to keep her kids without violating the societys rules? Which dh freaks out more?

Ohhhh, the possibilities! I'm well over the word count, but I'll have a bunch of days when I can't write.

Indigo73, feel better soon!

almama, you might discover you're writing a slew of short stories! That's still fantastic.

Everyone. Get up an hour early, stay up an hour late. Throw dinner in the crockpot. Cheat and order a pizza. Don't change the bed this week. Bribe the kids with a cool kitchen table fort and all of your pillows. (have snacks pre-made so they don''t need you to feed them. Heck, put the tv and dvd player in there too!) Cut up lots of fruit and veggies and leave it in the fridge for the kids. Take them to the park and let them run while you write. Break out the messy toys, go outside. But WRITE. Make it first, right after your family(!) and forget the cobwebs and dust. Next month we'll all go hang out on the Home Management boards and clean the house. THis month we WRITE!
#123 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 PM

I just went out to dinner with my dh (it's his b-day today!) and I told him about my story (my FIRST time talking about it outloud to ANYONE) and he thought it sounded GREAT!!! He may have been stoking my ego a little, but he's not the type to flatter me just to make me feel better, so his feedback does count a little at least! I feel so inspired to write right now, because I got such good feedback (he even asked good questions and everything! ) so I just need to get my dd down to sleep, and then I can get back to it!

Also, thanks for the encouragement, Red, that's just what I, and I'm sure others, need to hear! As Mike Lowell says, "push and grind!"
#124 of 369 Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 PM

OK, NaNo mamas, I'm taking tonight off. I'm at about 6900 words so I won't be too behind. I'm just really tired out. I didn't stop moving until about three seconds ago. Now my daughter wants to stare in my eyes and say "Nik nik, nikki," and I'm thinking it's a sign to name any new character Nikki.

Need rest.
#125 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 AM

Ok, I bit the bullet. I'm doing this. I have wanted to write for the last 5 years, but always said I didn't have the time. Well, today I decided THIS is my time to write. So, during naptime, I wrote two pages, 1662 words, to be exact, and now my head is spinning with what I want to write!!: So, I am going to join you mamas here, and wish you all luck, and time.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#126 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 AM

Welcome, Syndee and good luck!

Anyone else printing their story as they go? I print everything I write for that day. I'm not sure why - lol. I just like to see it all out on paper.

My impact character is doing something really devious to the MC. I upped the age of the characters - they are now 13 instead of 11. I think it works better if they are already in puberty.

Off to bed. I'm beat today. I've been up since 5:30 thanks to my 3 year old who woke up then and was a chatterbox for an hour - lol.
#127 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 01:38 AM

Twocoolboys- I did print out my stuff today, only because I wanted my best friend to read it and give me her thoughts. And my 18 month old was also up at the butt crack of dawn. Yawn, off to bed too. Happy writing!

#128 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 AM

No printing here, but my printer is broken. Also my thoughts are kind of random and everything is out of order, so it wouldn't make any sense to read it and I wouldn't be able to help but compulsively edit. And the deal was produce, produce, produce, and save editing for December. This is good for me, right? lol

7700 words so far.
#129 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
LionTigerBear, forget outlining. You'll never get enough words if you worry about plot!
Wow, you're totally right. I only got 700 words done yesterday. Oh, and I didn't get the outlining done either. I just can't figure it out. Okay, plot, schmot, I'm writing, I'm writing!

Quote:
Everyone. Get up an hour early, stay up an hour late. Throw dinner in the crockpot. Cheat and order a pizza. Don't change the bed this week. Bribe the kids with a cool kitchen table fort and all of your pillows. (have snacks pre-made so they don''t need you to feed them. Heck, put the tv and dvd player in there too!) Cut up lots of fruit and veggies and leave it in the fridge for the kids. Take them to the park and let them run while you write. Break out the messy toys, go outside. But WRITE. Make it first, right after your family(!) and forget the cobwebs and dust. Next month we'll all go hang out on the Home Management boards and clean the house. THis month we WRITE!
Thanks for that. Yesterday I was feeling bad about how the apartment looked and was trying to do some cleaning. And yeah, didn't make quota. Now today I have 3300 words to type out. : Ouch. Time to get to work, I guess.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#130 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everybody!

I'm a day behind despite my running start. I should have accounted for the day AFTER a 13 hour drive not being much better for writing than the day of the drive itself.

Now the house is thrashed, I have unpacking to do still, and I justify procrastinating on that by sitting at the computer where I know I have NaNoWriMo to work on...and I'm posting here.

I haven't felt this in my element since I graduated college last year. At this rate I'll be so busy procrastinating on my novel that I'll actually get the house clean before the end of the month.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#131 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM

Hi, Sydnee! *waves wildly* So now we're at four May '06 mamas doing NaNo...we rock.

The laundry situation is getting critical over here. Yesterday I took dd to the park and another mama said, "Oh she's all dressed up today! She looks so pretty!" To which I had to say..."Um, yeah, all of her play clothes are dirty, so this is what we were left with." :
#132 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Today was easier....2638 words today.

HAving fun - throwing things into the story that i hadn't anticipated. This is clearly my first novel....semi aotubiographical and kind of cheesy.

But you know what? I love it. And it will clear the slate for writing something completely not based on anything in my life for next year.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#133 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
This is clearly my first novel....semi aotubiographical and kind of cheesy.
:

Keep up the good work, mamas! Or if its not good, just keep up the work!
#134 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenSwan View Post
:

Keep up the good work, mamas! Or if its not good, just keep up the work!

See my siggie I've reached my goal for today ... Now I might have to go do something else to keep the house from falling down around my ears :
#135 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to pull a late night tonight. I want to be at 10,002 words by bedtime. That will have me right on target for 50,000 words at the end of the month.

Wish me luck!
#136 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

I haven't felt this in my element since I graduated college last year. At this rate I'll be so busy procrastinating on my novel that I'll actually get the house clean before the end of the month.

#137 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Is anyone else obsessive about word counts? I have to check mine about every 4 sentences.
i'm feeling better today--i've decided just to try to stay one day behind. that means 8334 words by tonight, which is doable. hopefully i can make up the extra day when things get more interesting, but if not then 48,333 words in one month with a 5 month old is still pretty good.
#138 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM

Ok, how exactly do you check your word counts though? I didn't get any info off the website??

I wrote about 3 pages (handwritten, have to go and transfer that into Word) this morning. This is just all consuming for me. I have not written a thing since high school, and that's been almost 15 years.: I just have so much in my head it's almost hard to write down.

Hey Amanda!!!!!!! Who else besides you and Phoebe are doing this???

#139 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee View Post
Ok, how exactly do you check your word counts though? I didn't get any info off the website??

I wrote about 3 pages (handwritten, have to go and transfer that into Word) this morning. This is just all consuming for me. I have not written a thing since high school, and that's been almost 15 years.: I just have so much in my head it's almost hard to write down.

Hey Amanda!!!!!!! Who else besides you and Phoebe are doing this???
I can't remember whose real name is Phoebe...other than ecoteat's dd! : But wfuteach and alaskaberry are also doing it

My version of Word just keeps a running word count at the bottom of the page, right next to where it lists line and column number.

I can't write by hand at all anymore. I used to do it in high school...but now I just can't get keep up with my thoughts that way. My typing is SO much faster.
#140 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm word count obsessed too!

To the other May '06 mommas, sorry for my lack of participation lately! I've been so busy writing, with visitors, etc. I'm planning to get back on track one of these days!
#141 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Oh, thanks Amanda! That rocks, I'm at 5175 right now, not bad for starting yesterday!!!

Kelly! hey, don't worry about it, we're always there!!!

#142 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 PM

I am having SUCH a hard time concentrating!!! ARGH!: Between last night and today, I have had probably three hours of time that I could have been writing, and I just putzed around surfing the net and totally AVOIDING writing! I'm in that second week rut, and it's not even the second week yet!

Okay, I just needed to vent somewhere where I'd be understood. I'm so glad for this awesome support thread, mamas!
#143 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Yep, you can add me to the word-count-obsessed group. But, I got back on track today! I wrote over 3,300 words bringing my new total to a wopping 10256 words! Woo hoo!!!

This is so funny though, my story just keeps going in twists that are unexpected to me-- totally unexpected. First it was going to be kind of modern fantasy, and then it took a twist to sci-fi with the addition of a time-machine (where did THAT come from?) and now we're back to kind of fantasy because we've got a castle and so forth . . . and I'm feeling kind of a romantic mood coming on too-- shall I spring a little romance on my unsuspecting young teenagers tomorrow? Hmm, we shall see, shan't we? *rubs hands together craftily*

It's cheesy, oh yeah, but I'm kind of having fun, you know, in betweeen pulling teeth . . .

#144 of 369 Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM

I can so relate to the twists and turns, I couldn't figure out what I wanted so I finally just dumped my character on a space station to see what would happen. So far it looks like it's going to be a lot of sex in outer space.
#145 of 369 Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Help!

I'm so far behind! I'm having a lot of trouble with the inner critic and this story is turning into something very deep and personal to me. It's very hard to write! So far I'm only at 2000 words and I want to hit at 5k by bedtime, but I just can't get over the fears and anxiety of doing this. Sigh. I wish I were doing a nice fluffy piece that wasn't multi-generational and complex in it's timelines. i wish it weren't rife with personal meaning to me. I wish I could manage to just turn off the brain and let the fingers do the walking. I wish, I wish I wish there was beer in the house!

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#146 of 369 Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

The story I am writing has some pretty personal overtones too. Mostly I just remember that I am talking about another person. If it is too personal, change it to make it fiction. If it is too tough to write about, give your character an out. YOu can change your story to make it end like you wish yours had, or make it worse. Spin it and see what you come up with.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#147 of 369 Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigama View Post
Help!

I'm so far behind! I'm having a lot of trouble with the inner critic and this story is turning into something very deep and personal to me. It's very hard to write! So far I'm only at 2000 words and I want to hit at 5k by bedtime, but I just can't get over the fears and anxiety of doing this. Sigh. I wish I were doing a nice fluffy piece that wasn't multi-generational and complex in it's timelines. i wish it weren't rife with personal meaning to me. I wish I could manage to just turn off the brain and let the fingers do the walking. I wish, I wish I wish there was beer in the house!
That was exactly what happened to me last year. I drank a glass of wine each time I sat down to write and it did help, a lot - lol. I was actually nervous about Nano this year because I am pg and can't drink. I wondered how in the world I would do it. But, I got all the personal stuff out last year. This year's story is not personal at all and I'm finding it much easier.

Anyway - Can you take a chapter to focus on a sub-character to get out of your own head a little? Write about the opposition or a confidant - just to get a different perspective.

We had some drama in our house tonight. A mouse got caught in a trap, but it just caught his foot. He dragged it away, died in the ceiling and was beginning to smell. It actually started yesterday. So, it was getting pretty bad today. We have company coming this weekend and the situation was getting critical. My husband spent THREE hours tearing things apart looking for this mouse. He finally found it, but not without causing some minor damage to the house. We can live with that. It would have been very very hard to have house guests for the weekend with a dead mouse smell - lol! Whew! So, if anyone is at a loss of what to write about - feel free! There was much cursing and drama - LOL.
#148 of 369 Old 11-07-2007, 01:20 AM

: Rigama! You can do it! You just HAVE to clear your head and shut that critic up! As Anne Lammot says, it's like a radio station, KFKD, that is full of crap, and you have to shut it off! Also, even though you are behind, it's not too late to catch up. I was really behind too, and was able to catch up by taking a few hours for myself on Saturday morning. You can do it!
#149 of 369 Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 AM

Euwww! On the poor mousie and all you guys for having to SMELL the poor mousie! Glad that episode (lest I say CHAPTER) is over!

I'm having a terrible time too, and am totally behind. Grrr. PArtly my kids are both sick, and dh is no freaking help. I'm just exhausted all the time, it seems. Not like pregnant exhausted (that would be SO exhausted, this is just wiped from doing everything 20 hrs. a day). Pukey sheets, cooking batches of soup, steamy shower bathroom time, etc. Just not fun. Figures it happens right now, huh?

BUT

I'm also feeling ... not stuck, just kind of caught on something. Not sure if it's the direction of the work or the neeeeed to write and not having dedicated time, or what. PRetty sucky. I haven't given up, but I haven't written in 2 days, either. Bah.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#150 of 369 Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm at 9122. Less than a day behind my target count, woo hoo!

Things really rolled for me today, but I'm worried I'm wasting too much time on exposition and it's WAAAY too dialogue heavy (and lots of expository dialogue at that). I have a feeling I'm going to have to go back when I get to the end and pad it out so there's more than just the characters explaining themselves to one another a lot. I had my protagonist get in a fight with his family and totally skimmed over it in favor of him telling the main supporting character about it. I probaby should have included the fight itself, except this part of the storyline is more about the two of them...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page