NaNo loser question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was behind on my word count going into the Thanksgiving week, and then I hosted my in-laws for a full week. : Needless to say, I'm VERY behind (just over 20,000). That being said, I've done too much work to just GIVE UP! I need help re-defining my goal. This d*mn thing has gotten me writing again for the first time in 6 years, so I'm already in love with NaNoWriMo : but I also desperately need some sense of conclusion, and if it's not reaching 50,000 by Nov. 30th, I don't know what it is. Am I the only one in this situation? Is there anyone else out there redefining success?
#2 of 5 Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 AM

nak

Last year was my first nano, and I seriously wrote less than 2000 words. I was pregnant and in my first trimester and I just really needed to sleep every second that I was home. It was still a good learning experience, and I think I'll actually win this year!

Just push yourself a little bit farther than you think you can go the next couple of days. Be proud that you've written an extra 20k words this month--that's a lot! If you actually finish the story that you started for nano, then it was definitely worth the effort.

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 PM

I, too, am a NaNo loser. 2x in a row no less. :-D

First time I wrote about 10K but I was hit by a car at the very beginning of the month. Typing was not easy with being doped up on pain killers and having my r. hand in a splint and sling. I bowed out about the 2nd week because it was just too much for me

This year, I only got 8K due to baby, nursing, and a plot that I really didn't care about. It all conspired against me to ruin my NaNo.

Next year, I'm hoping will be my win. 3rd time being the charm and all of that.
#4 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 03:11 AM

Karen, try googling NaNoFiMo (National Novel Finishing Month). I have heard about it, but haven't seen the site. They have a goal of 30,000 during December.

Also, I have two friends who did their 50,000 words, but are both shooting for 80-100,000. They are still keeping themselves set at 1000 words a day for a goal.

Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 AM

I'm a NaNo loser too - though I hit 50K in the first week of December. I'm still plodding with it, but feeling like it is getting to a first draft stage where I'm ready to seek feedback.

What worked for me was continuing with the NaNo frenzy once a week, every week, until I got to this point. I arranged a bit of child care, or prepared our meals all in advance and lined up a bunch of DVD's for a day - whatever it took. My family and friends were supportive so ultimately that's why it worked.

I have four children under 8 so I simply couldn't sustain the writing frenzy beyond a day or two at a stretch. That's why I'm not joining any more of the WriMo challenges. I felt like I was the worst mother in the world during November but now I read back what my fingertips assisted my psyche to purge and I'm pleased I took on the writing challenge. It didn't matter that I didn't quite win. I probably could have fudged it in the last few hours but winning wasn't really the goal in the first place.

So if it feeds your soul, keep writing. Even if I never publish my story, the simple discovery that I can write this way was worth it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page