The NaNo After-Party - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my internet connection is working only intermittently, ( but as long as it's working I wanted to start the PARTY thread!!!

WooHoo!!! We did it!!! And those who didn't finish quite 50,000, you still did great!!!

So let's party like it's December already!

I'll bring the sparkling cider. :

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#2 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

So, how bad is everyone's novel? I'm seriously embarrassed of mine. Well, parts of mine, anyway. I'm hoping I can salvage it into something half-way readable. But I'm going ot take a week of "vacation", first.

So did anyone write something really good? Just curious. Please tell me y'all are embarrassed of your books, like I am.

Hehe, yesterday I did almost 8000 words! What was your biggest word count for one day?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#3 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM

I will say that mine is better than last years by a long shot. But, it would still need major work if I were to submit it anywhere, which I'm not sure I'm up for. This year, I stayed on track with the story for the most part.

Last year, I was all over the place and would write some totally unrelated things just because I didn't know what else to do - lol. I also started last year's novel out with two characters, one who just mysteriously disappeared after the second chapter, never to be mentioned again! That was my learning year. I'm still learning, but I am at least in the ball park now - lol!

Congrats to everyone! I'll bring a great big cake to celebrate (calorie free and very yummy, of course!).
#4 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Wow, I never even got close to 8k in one day. That's awesome. I think my biggest word count days were in the 4500 - 5k range.

I'd never let anyone read my novel in its current form. It has flashes of greatness right next to scenes that seem to be acted out by cardboard cutouts. On the whole, it sucks bad, but I'm seeing potential.

I'm planning massive, massive revision, like "throwing out most of the first 100 pages" massive. At around the 3/4 point, I realized that my main character wasn't "main" enough to carry the whole story, so I decided to split the narrative among three different characters. That'll be a big project all on its own, and it doesn't even cover the other major changes I need to make before I'll be happy with it.

I have to say, I loved the deadline aspect of NaNo. It forced me to just go go go even when I was thinking "Oh my god this sucks". Some of the best parts of my novel were written in the middle of drivel.
#5 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM

I didn't write but just ducking in to give you novelists a big pat on a back for whatever your individual accomplishment was. Congrats!
#6 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm all for celebrating! I am so stoked to have completed it!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#7 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
I'd never let anyone read my novel in its current form. It has flashes of greatness right next to scenes that seem to be acted out by cardboard cutouts. On the whole, it sucks bad, but I'm seeing potential. <snip> I have to say, I loved the deadline aspect of NaNo. It forced me to just go go go even when I was thinking "Oh my god this sucks". Some of the best parts of my novel were written in the middle of drivel.
Yep, that could describe mine completely. But there are good parts, and I'm just going to go through and rewrite the sucky parts, and outline the whole thing to fill in the holes, and etc etc etc. I think it'll be good. My goal is to finish something that I would be proud of handing to my kids someday and saying, "I wrote this". So, even if I can't get it good enough to publish, I want to get it good enough to show off to family and friends. I think I can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
I didn't write but just ducking in to give you novelists a big pat on a back for whatever your individual accomplishment was. Congrats!
Thank you!!!!

#8 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM

I can join the afterparty! I'm a winner!

Of course, my ending contains sentences like "She got out somehow." :

Congratulations to everybody!
#9 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 PM

I laughed out loud with your ending, because mine was very similar!!!!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#10 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Red

I'm bringing fudge. Yep, if we can bring calorie free stuff, I want straight up chocolate and lots of it!

It will take many rewrite's before this baby could be read by anyone else. I still have another 1000 or 2000 words to go before the story will wind up, maybe more. I left two of my characters right in the middle of my first ever hot, steamy sex scene. (I hope they're enjoying themselves!) I'm not wuite sure of the ending yet, but it will come as I write.

So, let's party!
#11 of 20 Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 PM

I'm in!! Yum, I want to nosh on baked brie and bagette!!

I e-mail my novel to my DH, but he of course hasn't read it yet. I think it is not great and definitely not his style, but I do want another perspective.

I got a t-shirt too- yee haw!!
#12 of 20 Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by almama View Post
I got a t-shirt too- yee haw!!
I almost got a tee, but army/olive green is SO not my color. I also was looking for a winner's tee, but nothing. Maybe next year. I did print out my cheesy little winner's cetificate, though! I'll take what I can get!

#13 of 20 Old 12-02-2007, 01:32 AM

Congratulations to everyone!

I was a nanowrimo widow last month, but would cheer DH on as he wrote with choruses of "Crap! Crap! Crap!"

So here's to your 50 thousand words
#14 of 20 Old 12-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Is anyone doing anything with their NaNo this month?
I haven't even looked at mine again. I'm afraid to reread it.
#15 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 AM

Sorry I have been MIA lately, but I did finish my NaNo! I've completed the book, and the 50,000 words. I am actually really, really pleased with my book. I know that it needs some revisions (MAJOR revisions) but the truth is that I think I've come up with a unique idea and really think it could be published one day (embarassed to toot my own horn like this).

Congratulations to the rest of you that did it, too! Way to go!

On to the editing!
#16 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
Nothing yet, I'm taking the week off for vacation. I will start doing some very basic draft clean-up this month, to ease into some of the re-writing and revision which will eventually be necessary.

But this week is my vacation.

#17 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
I started outlining my story this week. Kind of backwards, I know, but it sure is easy to outline once you already know what happens The outline is going to help me when I edit since there's major disorganization in the order of events. I wrote many scenes out of chronological order because they were fun to write and I had to make a word count.

I'm looking forward to rewriting without word count mania. I think I checked my word count every ten minutes while I was doing NaNo.
#18 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM

I reread mine and dh reread it, too. Honestly, I don't think it's terrible. There are aspects of it that need major work--in particular, some of the characters are undeveloped, and there's some atrocious, clunky dialogue. Also an out-of-nowhere scene at the end which needed a good deal more foreshadowing.

But I think some of it (even some of the writing!) is actually good. Dh is a reliable and intelligent reader, and while he thinks it would need a lot of work to be published, he was reasonably impressed, given the time constraints. He laughed out loud in a number of places, and for about a week after he read it, he would say at odd times, "I can't believe you killed off X. I can't stop thinking about it."
#19 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Red

Jeez, mine is....wierd. Really. Might be a story there....after a dozen rewrites.

What IS there is the hot sex scene I could never write. I'm rewriting, again, my other novel. NaNo gave me loads of ideas and the habit of writing every day, something I'd stopped doing.

So, break out the stories and let's go! I have something YOU could read, what do you have for me?
#20 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also going to be outlining mine to find the holes and inconsistencies and see where I need to flesh out the story more.

I have nothing to share with you, yet, Red. That's how bad it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page