Quick help with cover letter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am applying for a freelance writing position in a small local independent newspaper. I was thrilled to see their ad today! They stated that they do not require previous freelance reporting experience which is good since I have none - lol. I do have experience writing for AC and Suite, as some of you know, but the writing style is so different from that in a newspaper. I'm not worried about that. I can do that part of it for sure.

I have to submit my resume and 3 articles, which is all no problem. But, what do I write in the cover letter? They want an e-mail, so it would be a little less formal than an actual cover letter. What do I say? I am submitting 3 of my Suite articles and I want to somehow convey that this writing style is specifically for the web and that I can easily switch over to a more newspaper-type style.

Help! I want to send the e-mail out tonight.

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 AM

Basics in the cover letter I was taught to include:

- where you heard about the position
- your specific skills that would make you an ideal candidate
- your experience (here you could detail that the examples provided come from the web and reflect that

Something like:

I read your posting for a freelance writer in Wednesday's edition (or whatever). I am keenly interested in joining your staff.

While writing as a Content Producer at AC and Suite..., I researched, drafted, and edited columns on a wide variety of topics... yadda yadda yadda While webwriting requires a special set of writing skills as you can read in my submissions, I can easily adapt my writing style to accommodate print writing.

Does that help?
#3 of 4 Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It did help. It's been years since I had written a cover letter and I was drawing a complete blank. I just sent the e-mail.

I actually ended up sending two Suite articles and one AC article (one of my older ones, before I knew about optimizing for web searches). The AC article is about breastfeeding, it's well researched and fleshed out a lot more than most of my other articles. It's the article I'm most proud of. So, now my fingers are crossed that I hear from them.

Kind of bad timing since the baby is due next month, but we'll see what happens. I'm hoping that they will hire me and just give me a few assignments a month to start. I think it will involve going to town board meetings, school functions and things of that nature. No matter what, I would LOVE to do it. I could be the babywearing, breastfeeding reporter sitting at a town board meeting taking notes.
#4 of 4 Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM

lol Good for you! So when are you due? How is the pregnancy going?

Glad it helped too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page