call for submissions-my baby rides the short bus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call for submissions: My Baby Rides the Short Bus – an upcoming anthology to be published by PM Press (Winter, 2009)

We are seeking submissions from a diverse group of parents raising special needs kids who feel marginalized by their subculture status (economics, lifestyle, orientation, religion/atheism) and underrepresented in print.

Got tips on how to stay sane during the IEP process when you don’t believe in the system to begin with? Felt you had to hide you radical political books while the Early Intervention Folks come over? Found yourself stuck a mainstream world of special needs parenting that you don’t fit into?

Submit your stories to a upcoming anthology that features writing from parents in the know about what it's like to raise "special needs" kids -- with no sugar coating or the 'you will dream new dreams' kind of crap we're subjected to by mainstream media. Unfortunately we can’t pay, but all contributors will receive two copies of the book.

Topics we would like to see covered include (but are not limited to):
•Experiences with helpful or clueless doctors
•How not to leave your politics at the door and still work the system
•Care providers and how they help us (when they show up)
•Community support or lack thereof
•The asinine things people say you
•Challenging people’s assumptions
•Keeping yourself sane while caring for your kid’s needs
•The politics of inclusion
•Fighting city hall/demanding more access & services
•Kids with special needs growing older
•Alternatives to group homes and institutions
•Politics behind professional care-giving
•Alterative treatments: the good, the bad, or the rip-off
*Also, we’re seeking suggestions for good resources/services state-by-state or on the national level. Please send those to the email listed below.

Send 2,000 to 5,000 word submissions by May 15th 2008 or questions to: shortbusbook@yahoo.com Essays must be typed, double-spaced, and paginated. Please include your address, phone number, email address, and a short bio on the last page.

Editors: Yantra Bertelli, Jennifer Silverman and Sarah Talbot, who are parents of “special needs” kids.

www.shortbusbook.blogspot.com
#2 of 4 Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM

Oh thanks for posting this. I have an adorable picture of my daughter in front of "the short bus" from last school year - this post reminded me of it.

I have two children with special needs. I'm going to work on getting a submission in for this. Thank you.
#3 of 4 Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 PM

Thanks for letting us know this! I've got 3 SN kids & lots to say I better get busy.
#4 of 4 Old 02-17-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

i look forward to seeing both!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page