Question about promoting book - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently started working at home for my former boss and am suppose to promote a book he wrote and was recently published. He gave me a book, Author 101, to assist me and it has some good ideas for promoting and publicity. But I am wondering if anyone has promoted a book or got publicity for it and how they did it. Really any ideas, whether you have actually done them or not it cool with me, I'm still brainstorming. FWIW, the book is non-fiction, about reverse mortgages, so it isn't exactly the most interesting subject, nor does it apply to everyone.

TIA to anyone who can help.
#2 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 PM

Who is the audience of the book? Is it for mortgage professionals or for people interested in obtaining reverse mortgages? They are both really specific audiences and I would think that your techniques would need to be really different depending on which group you are trying to reach.
#3 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Did he give you a budget? It's actually good that it doesn't apply to everyone-it narrows down the audience you are trying to reach.
#4 of 6 Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

The book is for both professionals (I would say more entry level mortgage professionals who don't know about these types of loans), financial planners and senior citizens. A reverse mortgage can only be obtained by people over 62 years old. It isn't very technical (I have read it 8 billion times because I did a lot of the typing, proofreading and charts) so it can be read by someone considering a reverse mortgage as well. I would say it leans more toward the person considering the reverse mortgage.

Budget? I did ask about that and his answer was a "couple thousand". So nothing big or anything. This isn't going to be a great big seller or anything, but he is writing another book (about real estate investment) so he wants to promote this book kind of as practice for the next one.

One of his suggestions was an email marketing campaign. I hire a company basically to send info to people who have "opted in" to receive info on a particular subject. To put it bluntly, they spam people who at some point agreed to receive information relative to a certain subject. And it isn't too expensive, about $1,000, so I would still have some money to work with.

Has anyone ever done a press release for a book? That is another idea and where we live the media is still semi-small, so it is possible he could be interviewed for a local morning news show or something ... if I can figure out how to let them know about this great local author ...

Thanks for your responses.
#5 of 6 Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM

On the email campaign, you will want to look into the "sales page" where the people will land if they click through the email (and what the email says in the first place).

I would tend to have him tour Elder Hostel events or something similar and offer the book as well as a discount for anyone using him as a broker.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#6 of 6 Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Yes, call and write your local TV stations and send press releases to any local newspapers. Don't forget local radio stations as well.

I would also contact local organizations and civic groups - especially ones that cater to the older population. Often organizations are looking for speakers at their meetings, etc. Another idea is to host a reception for the author where he will talk about the topic. Invite people who will be interested in the topic...serve refreshments and have the books on-hand to sell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page