I wrote a book for baby..now what? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any way to get it published for ummm like no money?
#2 of 7 Old 04-05-2008, 02:07 AM

You could print it zine-style on a scanner/printer and distribute copies independently. Not sure if you can advertise here or not, but you could sell it for what you deem a fair price to moms you know IRL or online who are interested.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#3 of 7 Old 04-05-2008, 03:32 AM

I'm not sure if you're trying to make it a "regular" book or a board book, but there's a thread on here with a website that sells blank board books for less than $2 apiece.

Depending on what the book's about, I might want to buy a copy. I've been looking around for children/baby books about breastfeeding and babywearing. I saw the ones on Amazon, but I'd also like some more personalized books, too, like Saturday with Mez, where it centers around the child instead of around the act of breastfeeding/babywearing.
#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2008, 09:27 AM

If you're just wanting one copy for yourself, you can make a photobook on shutterfly & then wait for a sale...every once in a while you can get one for free.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#5 of 7 Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM

There is a publisher that does it for free, Publish America. I was going to use them and I probably still will for my first book They get paid when people buy, and you can buy your own copies and sell them as well. Otherwise though you only get a few actual copies and the rest are sold online. If nothing else, it's a great company to try at least once!
#6 of 7 Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lulu is an American publish-it-yourself company. DH used it to publish a book he wrote. They don't charge you anything for publishing per se, but they take a percentage of the profits--basically, they say 'OK, it'll cost us $12 per copy, you can charge whatever you want', and you can charge $20 or $50 or whatever you please, as long as they get their $12. They print the books off one at a time, so you don't have to get rid of a whole 'run'.

The catch is you have to send them your book as a PDF, and however it looks on the PDF is EXACTLY how it will end up--they don't go through and fix your margins or spelling errors or change the typescript if it's too small, or anything. DH designed his own cover for his book, but if you're not artistically inclined you might need to get someone else to do it. Anyway, DH is very impressed with Lulu, particularly because he gets to keep all intellectual property rights, which enables him to put his book online for free. 'Real' publishers won't let you do that!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 PM

I am confused. You said "published," which is different than "printed." If you just want a copy, there are plenty of ways to do that-- seems as if many of the ladies here have advice on that one.

If you want actual find at the bookstore published, that is a process that shouldn't cost you any money. You get an agent (legitimate agents do not charge ANY SORT OF FEES (reading, etc)-- beyond the 15% cut they take from selling it). Or you can try submitting straight to the publishing houses themselves...

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page