Freelance writing in Canada - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A bit of background: Over the years, having been an English teacher, I've only written lots of poetry (some of which got published on a website somewhere), a few children/tween fiction stories, and a bunch of essays. My specialty with regards to other people's writing was editing my students' essays and wonky translations.

Before my baby is born, I'd like to start writing again, more for myself than for the money, but I'm not quite sure where to start, especially since all the resources offered in this forum seemed geared towards writers based in the US. Can I submit to the sites like suite101 even though I'm in Canada? Are there any specific sites geared towards the Canadian market? My cousin currently writes for a local newspaper but she got hired *after* completing a degree in journalism from Concordia, so I'm not sure they'd hire someone as "green" as me.

I thought to go on CL to find some small (unpaid) gigs to get me started, sort of like this:
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/wri/618973581.html
...but the post asks to submit a writing sample...what do I write for them if I'm just starting out?

TIA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page