How to get started-- I want to write! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-01-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been writing poems and songs consistently since I was 12 (9 years). I love doing that, but would love to branch out. I've come up with some great, unique concepts for books, but can never seem to get to the plot details. I burn out too easily.

I would love to hear from some fiction writers in here, whether it's novels or short stories. How do you do it? When you come up with a great idea, what do you do next? Help me out!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM

This might sound simplistic, but here's what I do: I write. Everything. I have a bunch of different notebooks that I fill up with ideas, observations, complaints, snippets of dialog, scenes that would be great in novels.... just everything.

Now here's why: writing everything has made writing a natural part of my daily life. I don't struggle with getting started because I'm always going. When I get a good idea, I'm ready to run with it, and having the back-catalog of written odds and ends gives me something to work with to flesh out my bigger story ideas. HTH and best of luck to you
#3 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM

great idea on the notebook of plots,etc. typingmarie! I use my computer mostly but the notebook might help me..

I just started writing fiction (short stories) so I am just pretty much :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 PM

I am watching this thread as well.

I am wanting to write a book about infertility and IVF from a medical standpoint and also from someone who has been through it.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#5 of 8 Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm also considering starting a zine!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#6 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 12:24 AM

The best writing advice I have ever heard came from Salmon Rushdie. He said, "Finish what you start."
It's really easy to start something, but it takes a lot of willpower and brute force to finish it. I'm a reporter rather than a novelist, and I find that having an editor screaming, "I needed that story five minutes ago," is pretty good motivation to get it going.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#7 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
The best writing advice I have ever heard came from Salmon Rushdie. He said, "Finish what you start."
It's really easy to start something, but it takes a lot of willpower and brute force to finish it. I'm a reporter rather than a novelist, and I find that having an editor screaming, "I needed that story five minutes ago," is pretty good motivation to get it going.
I'd imagine! I've always worked better if someone made me (maybe because my parents always told me I never did anything without being told and it's manifested? who knows!) I even used to tell my ex's mom (whom I lived with at 18) to "ground me until I clean my room"... it's the only way it would get done!

DH is really helping to motivate me to do this zine, though. I'm trying to learn that whole "finish what I started" deal.

#8 of 8 Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM

I am an advocate of the notebook and pen as well. I CAN'T type up my ideas and stories.. it just comes out crap. I have about, say, 50 million notebooks

I would suggest just thinking of an idea, letting something inspire you into a character or a central idea, and just run with it. DON'T worry about how dumb or badly written it sounds, don't worry about making it publish worry right off the bat. These are two things that keep ME from writing.. when I was younger I wrote stories allll the time, and they were some pretty neat ideas! But they were just so poorly written and pretty stupid, but that isn't the point :P If you just relax and work on letting yourself flow it will make things a whooole lot easier for you, even the editing process later on.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page