anyone visit usenet (newsgroups?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd check and see if any of you mamas visit newsgroups. About 10 years ago I was active in a newsgroup called misc.writing -- it really got me started as a writer. I've been back a few months and have been surprised. It's turned into a sort of brutal forum where people seem to love tearing each other down. There is a handful of other folks, though, who want to hang out and talk about writing and other things with people who like to write.

Are any of you users of usenet? (You can get there via google groups.)

If you are prone to get sucked into righting wrongs, or getting sucked into "flame wars," you might love or hate the place. I'm currently the focus of one very, very hardcore obsessive stuff. Doing my best to just ignore it.

I stick around the group, though, remembering what it was for me back then. It really made a difference for me. There were "real writers" hanging out there then, too. They are still there, but not as active since the flame-lovers are dominating.

--Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Wow flash from the past, I haven't been on a Usenet group in probably a good eight years. I remember all to well the strong personalities that some of them had. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with some of the negative stuff right now - ignoring it is definitely your best bet, although that isn't always easy.
#3 of 3 Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM

I loved the Usenet, though I haven't participated in a newsgroup in many years. The kooks were the best part for me. You really don't find the same kind of hilariously dedicated trolls anywhere else on the web.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page