Helium? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just now starting to look into sites like Associated Content and Helium. I know lots of women here do AC but has anyone done Helium? What are the differences between them and the pros and cons? How much can I realistically expect to earn doing this? I'm not looking to do it to bring in major money, just a bit on the side. But I won't work for peanuts either!

Any insights to share?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#2 of 3 Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Haven't done Helium, but one of the big differences is that you retain all rights to your work (you don't share it). So you could turn around and sell the same piece elsewhere (including AC).

Helium doesn't offer upfront payment, AC may pay upfront in addition to the rate of $1.50/1000 views, but not necessarily. From what I was told by others who write at Helium, they earn more at Helium in the long run.

Helium also has a funky rating system. It considers all the pieces on the same topic, readers then rate those articles. The best of the articles in that topic will rank higher when searched. Most writers that I spoke too aren't too thrilled with that feature because it doesn't necessarily reflect how well written a piece is- but on popularity.
#3 of 3 Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM

I have 19 articles on helium, and I've made $1.46 since December of 2006
I have 22 articles on Suite101 and have made over $50 since I joined in January of 2008.

Suite's strict format makes for higher earnings and more professional quality articles.

Helium lets anyone write anything, and most of it is garbage.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page