Writing residencies for mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting an art center and community print shop in my town. It will have workshops and shared resources for people to do all kinds of art and create books and publications. We are going to seek out funding for writing residencies designed for parents! We would like to have a mother or father be able to come, use a studio for quiet writing time while thier kid(s) get to participate in arts programming. Like a camp for the kids! and then the parent / resident writer would also teach a class, or give talks, or give back in some way during their stay.

Writing Residencies are a great way to build a resume and get some work done on your own writing.

What would make it most possible for you to participate in such a thing and does anyone have ideas for funding sources. We do have ideas but we are always looking for more ideas!

Travel costs covered?
Somewhere to stay? where preferred? bread and breakfast, hotel, or a family-sponsor's house?

child care covered? what kind? In the same building as where you are working, or in a child care facility we arranged special discounts with?

do you have ideas of places I can advertize the residencies once we get funding for them?

We are in a scenic town, and its a great place to visit and write.

we are about to close on a space and our program is just getting started but i told everyone that i would put some feelers out here for ideas and thoughts about family residencies.

if you want some examples of what we are doing look up the Seattle Hugo House, and the Minnesota Center for the Book Arts for examples that we follow in designing our center.

Thanks!
#2 of 2 Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
What would make it most possible for you to participate in such a thing and does anyone have ideas for funding sources. We do have ideas but we are always looking for more ideas!
Hi, I am a writer that seems to never make it over to this forum but I do have feedback. I have no ideas for funding sources.

I have always imagined a place where I can have solitude and quiet. I would need to know my kids were fully taken care of so I could relax. Ideally I would want to be able to get food and take it back to my room or be able to cook myself something in my room. I don't know if I would feel comfortable in someone's house. There is a museum here that has artists in residence and they provide a nice space for them for a few months at a time. Of course the more costs covered the better.
HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page