Hi, my name is Sage and I am a writer. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. My title is meant to sound like an intro at a substance abuse meeting, as in "I have a problem"

I'm 30 years old. I started writing when I was 6, as a way to make my horrible nightmares into funny stories. I quickly became addicted to writing as it garnered such an amazing response from everyone. They loved my stories. I won creative writing awards in elementary and high school. By the time I hit high school I was bumped in honors english classes. I continued to write and write, at an alarming rate. Due to the frequency of my nightmares I never ran out of material. My english teachers wanted to publish my works, but I refused because I was a.) too embarassed and b.) too much of a perfectionist. My stories never were good enough for me, there was always something missing, but only in my eyes.
When I went to university, tho I majored in psychology, I took alot of creative writing classes. I excel in writing, I always have.

I have barely written anything in nearly 4 years. I can come up with ideas, but when I sit down to write them... I can't. I've attached alot of pain to writing somewhere along the line. I can't figure out how to get past this, but its my thing. Its who I am, its what I was meant to do, kwim?

Can anyone relate? Any words of advice? I keep trying, but I'm either discouraged because I think I suck, or I'm just stuck, totally blocked. My frustration is NOT helping anything either.
#2 of 5 Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 AM

hi sage and welcome. i dont have time to write much right now, but i totally went through a block like you describe, for years. what got me out of it was reading 'the artist's way' by julia cameron, and doing all the exercises in it, and continuing to do 'morning pages' as she recommends, up to now and continuing. it's excellent for recovering your true creativity.
#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Sage, I understand not being able to write. I am there, and have finally gotten to the bottom of things for me.

For ME, it has to do with some painful personal issues I am facing and dealing with. I have been journaling alot though, and that has at least gotten me writing, though not the way I used to. I believe that I am doing what I need to be doing right now. Why the pain? Maybe you could just journal about that. Have a dialogue with yourself, or just freewrite, you may be surprised at what comes to light.

Just my input

You may want to check out the journaling thread in Personal Growth.

Whatever will be, already is...

#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 PM

I'd also like to add that going to a regular, once a week, poets group really helped me enormously (well, a writer's group of whatever kind, but I chose to focus on my poetry). My productivity went up, my fear of criticism went down, and my flow increased. There are some good and bad ones out there, but it's worth looking.
#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaya View Post
hi sage and welcome. i dont have time to write much right now, but i totally went through a block like you describe, for years. what got me out of it was reading 'the artist's way' by julia cameron, and doing all the exercises in it, and continuing to do 'morning pages' as she recommends, up to now and continuing. it's excellent for recovering your true creativity.
I just want to second Devaya's recommendation. "The Artist's Way" was life changing for me both as a writer and as a person. It helped me break down barriers to my creativity that I didn't even know existed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page