Submissions ettiquette question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to all of this and I have a question about submitting articles for print mags. If I have an article to submit is it considered acceptable to submit it to multiple magazines at one time? With how long it takes to get an answer from magazines it seems like it would be a good idea to do that rather that submitting them serially, but I don't know how magazines look upon you for doing that.
#2 of 7 Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 AM

I believe this is usually frowned upon and not good ettiquette. I can see why, since a magazine could buy exclusive rights, they wouldn't want anyone else to have the option. Also, you would then have to contact the other places you submitted to let them know that it was sold.

One tip I read about (and have yet to do, but I intend to!) is to get a submission ready to go to however many magazines you want to send it to. Then, pick your first choice, mail it and wait. If you get back a rejection, you've got it already to go to your second choice and you simply need to drop it in the mail. And so on.
#3 of 7 Old 06-10-2008, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I guess I was hoping it might be different.
#4 of 7 Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 PM

Simultaneous submissions are pretty much the norm these days - providing you are talking about article query and not a completed article.

Pretty much the only time you would send a completed article is if you are sending an essay for a specific department or in some cases shopping around a reprint. Other than that you should be sending a query, which you target for a specific market but can still send to as many mags as you like.
#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 AM

If you ever want to sell something, I highly suggest submitting to multiples at the same time. Editors know you do it. Agents know you do it. It is just how things work.

You have to. I can submit pitches and not hear back anything for three months or more. Sometimes I never hear back. It sucks.

I wouldn't necessarily submit to every single magazine on the planet at once, but I definitely send out pitches to multiple ones in one round.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#6 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

OK that makes sense. Good to know. Thank you. Now I just need to get a good basic article ready to send out queries.
#7 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM

That makes sense that it would be ok to do with queries! I've always read not to do it with finished articles but the turnaround time is LONG.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page