Poetry & chapbooks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you know if poets primarily self-publish their collected works? I've been looking at different poetry contests and seeing where one has to have a published chapbook, and I'm wondering how all these poets are getting published. I'm finding it kind of like when you're a kid and you need to get a job, but no one will hire you until you have work experience, so how do you get work experience to get a job??! I've had pieces printed in high school and college literary mags, but that was so long ago & I'm wondering if I should just gather my poetry and self-publish...but would that be "legit" (am not trying to upset anyone) --meaning, is that seen as "being published" even though I set everything up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie anne View Post
Do any of you know if poets primarily self-publish their collected works? I've been looking at different poetry contests and seeing where one has to have a published chapbook, and I'm wondering how all these poets are getting published. I'm finding it kind of like when you're a kid and you need to get a job, but no one will hire you until you have work experience, so how do you get work experience to get a job??! I've had pieces printed in high school and college literary mags, but that was so long ago & I'm wondering if I should just gather my poetry and self-publish...but would that be "legit" (am not trying to upset anyone) --meaning, is that seen as "being published" even though I set everything up?
imo, selfpublishing is too risky if you are serious about writing. if you are absolutely brilliant, have promotion super powers, and are able to generate interest and reviews, then it might work. too many people look at self-publishing as vanity publishing and you don't want to go there.

i'd look for chap book contests and submit, submit, submit.

or, to start with, submit to literary mags that accept poetry. there are some heavy weight on-line mags that could start you off and be a credit on your cover letter with your next submissions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page