Anyone trying to publish a book? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone else is writing or trying to publish a book?

I am in the process of building / sending proposals to publishers right now.
#2 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Yes, I am. It sucks monkey balls.

Why are you sending to publishers and not agents? You'll have a better chance of getting it looked at by the big publishers with an agent.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#3 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am. I'm combing through the Writer's Market right now.

My subject's are less likely to be picked up by a major publisher, so I'm focusing mostly on more specific publishers. If I come across an agent that may work out, they go on The List, as well.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 07:29 PM

I made it out of slush at a major NY Publisher and was soooo excited to have someone considering my novel.

2 years later, still haven't heard anything. The editor flaked on me big time. I had some agents interested but nothing panned out. I guess it wasn't my time.

I'm sort of eh on traditional publishing at the moment. I sent my novel to an e-publisher and I think for now I'll be going that route.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#5 of 7 Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am. I'm combing through the Writer's Market right now.

My subject's are less likely to be picked up by a major publisher, so I'm focusing mostly on more specific publishers. If I come across an agent that may work out, they go on The List, as well.
Yep - that Publishers and agents both.

The difference is that my market is pretty wide, and its on a hot topic in the media right now (and a different "need" that hasn't been touched on in that venue yet) so I think I have a pretty good chance of getting picked up. I know I'm bound to hear some no's but I'm also working on manifesting positive outcomes for this too. I have faith that good things lie ahead
#6 of 7 Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Hi. I haven't been on this forum before but I'm trying to put my writing life back together (had a baby, a transatlantic move, and a wedding in the last little while). I sent out about 60 query letters for my novel last year, only one request for a partial which came to nothing, and am now thinking about doing non-fiction for a change and because it doesn't take as much creative energy (for me) as fiction.

For some specific markets I would go straight to the small publishers, too.
#7 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

keep at it mamas - 200,000 new books a year get published

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page