Sent out my first query! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally did it. I wrote, revised, interviewed, edited, and ran it past a writer whose judgment I trust. And yesterday, I finally hit send and emailed it to three different magazines. Woo hoo!

I already got one rejection but it didn't bother me at all. It was actually the magazine I least wanted it to go to so I wasn't upset. And it was nice to get feedback from someone straight away instead of waiting around for ages for all of them to get back to me.

I know the chances of me selling my first query are slim but I'm excited nonetheless and hoping for the best. :

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Congratulations!! :-) Keep us Posted.

Angela <><

P.S. When in September are you due? I'm due with #3 on September 2nd but I'm not expecting to go quite that long.
#3 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Yay - a rejection is a good thing. See if you can think of another query for that mag, even if it isn't your favourite
#4 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_queen_22 View Post

P.S. When in September are you due? I'm due with #3 on September 2nd but I'm not expecting to go quite that long.
I'm due on the 20th and I expect I'll go right around then or a few days over, like I did with DD. Do you post in the Sept DDC or are you hangin' out in August since you'll probably go early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama View Post
Yay - a rejection is a good thing. See if you can think of another query for that mag, even if it isn't your favourite
I emailed the editor back and asked if she would be open to receiving other pitches and queries from me and she said that while they're happy to consider new ideas, they don't buy a huge amount of material. Do you think I should keep sending them to her or would that be a faux pas?

Already working on my next query...it's so much easier once you've done your first one.

#5 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM

I emailed the editor back and asked if she would be open to receiving other pitches and queries from me and she said that while they're happy to consider new ideas, they don't buy a huge amount of material. Do you think I should keep sending them to her or would that be a faux pas?

I would keep her on your pitch list for now and see what happens. It could be they assign in house ideas, rather than buy freelance ideas - so if you pitch a few more times, and gain some experience, she may come back with an assignment. My personal rule of thumb is to keep in touch with editors who take the time to respond - not matter what their answer was.

I would also try to get your hands on a few copies of the mag and see who's writing it. If all the content is generated by the editors or by a regular group of experts you're probably not going to have much luck.
#6 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update: I've had one rejection (which I already mentioned upthread), havent' heard back from the other two so sent a follow up email last night, and sent it off to two other magazines as well.

I heard back from one of the mags I queried for the first time last night and the editor said she really liked the idea but they'd just run a story on the same topic (albeit a different angle) and so would have to wait a few months. But she said if I hadn't sold it before then that she'd be interested and would try to work it in as a feature. That's very encouraging, right? And there's nothing to stop me from pitching other ideas and queries to her now that she's receptive to my work. Hooray! This is a big confidence booster. I think I can do this!

#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

Yay!

Keep track of everything. That way, in a couple of months, you'll be able to remember who said what, who didn't reply and who said they typically don't buy much.

You're off to a good start...now get going!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Keep track of everything. That way, in a couple of months, you'll be able to remember who said what, who didn't reply and who said they typically don't buy much.
Yep, got my excel spreadsheet going and I fill it in as I send out queries and get feedback or send follow-ups. So far so good...

Thanks for the encouragement!

#9 of 9 Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 AM

That is fantastic - I agree, hearing something back is definitely good (even if it is a no thanks).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page