Finding experts for your topic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am working on some new queries and for a couple of them I'm not sure where to look or even for whom I should look when it comes to getting the 'expert opinion.'

For example, one of my queries is about what mothers do while their children are napping. Of course, I will survey lots of moms and interview a couple for quotes but who what kind of professional could I get to comment on why it is important for mothers to have down time during the day -- a psychologist? Someone who works with moms of young children? Someone who is considered an expert in parenting? Sometimes it's hard to know who the right person or area is to target. Any ideas? Where do you find your experts?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 04:38 PM

I always check local businesses, they are usually the most responsive.

For the article you listed I would check your Dr.'s Office, a Psychiatrist or a Family Counselor. Even someone in the family division of your local health department might have some tips.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 PM

For that one I would look for a book author of a recently published book on motherhood. Mags love pairing new books with their stories and the authors are eager for a plug so make good interviews.
To find one, head to Amazon.com (or the like) and search for books on parenting that will be released in the next 6 months or so. Then contact the publisher for the author's agent - typically they'll send you a copy of the book and hook you up with an interview.
For example on this I searched for 'motherhood' on amazon, then sorted the results by publication date. Next I would go through the books and choose ones that had an AP focus and then make contact with those authors (I'm a big believer in subversive journalism I found about four books that look like they would either address the issue or that the author would at least be able to give intelligent comments about it.

For a query - you don't need to have done the interview yet, just give some examples of who you would interview (this shows you know how to find them.)

Beyond books, you can do a google search for current studies on your topics, then contact the study authors. For example, you may have learned from anecdotes that women who don't get breaks are more stressed - so you could google "study stress motherhood" and see what you get. For more general stuff I contact the media department of universities and ask for specific types of experts. Most universities have listings of the staff who talk to journalists - as well as what their areas of expertise are.

Another source is https://profnet.prnewswire.com/ It takes a bit to get the hang of and is better when you have assigned stories - but it sends out your request to qualified experts for free. So for example, if I'm writing a story on why it is important to talk to your newborn and want comments from a range of experts, I'll fill out the form saying I need experts who can tell me why it is important to talk to babies and within a few hours I'll have a dozen responses to wade through.

Personally, unless I'm writing for a regional mag, I typically avoid local sources and just save those for emergencies. You'll run out of them too quickly and most mags like you to cover as broad a geographic area as possible.

Does this help?
#4 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that helps tremendously! :

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#5 of 8 Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama View Post

Does this help?
OMG- that was like a million dollar response, I love you love you love you for that, what treasure- my head is full of possibilities. I knew it should all be so easy, but wow. that is fantastic. are you that cool in real life?
#6 of 8 Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

What a great thread. Wonderful ideas, thanks!
#7 of 8 Old 07-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
OMG- that was like a million dollar response, I love you love you love you for that, what treasure- my head is full of possibilities. I knew it should all be so easy, but wow. that is fantastic. are you that cool in real life?
You are so sweet
I have been the recipient of so much wonderful help from other freelancers that I'm more than happy to pass ideas along.
#8 of 8 Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM

It's free.

And sign up here to get the emails for other reporters looking for sources. They often have parenting related queries:

http://helpareporter.com/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page