Is it worth it to do another rewrite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm not on this board often, but I'm facing a dilemma. I started writing a fantasy story in 2002. It was meant to be a quick, one-off novel, but it turned into a series as things in the fantasy genre often do. I've drafted 3 or 4 out of 5 novels, and done several re-writes of the first two.

I spent most of 2007 working on a new version of the new Book 1 of the series and sent out about sixty queries, all of which came back as rejections or didn't come back at all (except for one request for a partial, then rejected). Since my daughter was born in November we've had a pretty chaotic life, which included a move to Ireland from the US. I haven't had much time or space for writing.

After a month or so of working on some short non-fiction pieces, I had a sudden inspiration about how to fix last year's novel. This will be a near total re-write. I know how long these things take, how much energy it will sap off, and how hard it will be to sell, even if the results are fantastically great. I've outlined a new plan, and the changes that need to be made, but I just don't know if it will be worth it.

Should I go ahead, or cut my losses?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page