Boston area? Copywriting workshop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking into copywriting. I know nothing about it other than it's a huge business and can be good for freelancing. I found that a 2-day workshop is being offered in Boston in November. But it's EXPENSIVE! $900 per person, but if 4 enroll together, the 4th is free (making it $625/person). I'm not sure yet that I want to do this or even could time/money-wise, but I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested. We'd have lots of time to figure this all out if it was at all possible.

joanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 PM

I don't think I can possibly afford this, but I am very close to Boston. I am in the Metrowest area.
#3 of 4 Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 AM

I don't know what the seminar is, mama...but I'd recommend looking at the library first and reading up about principles of writing for advertising and marketing. You may find you have a good grasp on what you need; if not, at least you'll know it's money well spent.

I'm a FT copywriter. I write content for magazine ads, brochures, Web sites, direct mail, e-mail, video scripts, etc. It can be fun work. I typically work closely with an art director or designer. I also do some freelance copywriting, and it's the same deal. It can be a very flexible job (in fact, I'd like to do it FT from home, just need to convince the boss it's a great idea).

There is a pretty good deal of work available. I really think the best first step, though, is to hook up with a design pro. A lot of people think they just need someone to do layout, and a good designer with a strong grasp of marketing can help sell your skills in. When the outcome is more effective materials, everyone wins. There are even design agencies that don't *do* writing. You could look for them and sell your skills in to them. Good luck.
#4 of 4 Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I actually just got a job as a grant writer so copywriting is off the table (for now). I was trying to figure out what the h*** to do with myself and so I was researching all sorts of ideas to see which doors opened - or slammed shut.

joanna

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page