Creating a worskhop for single mothers/ advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(cross posted in single mothers)

I'm creating a writing workshop for single mothers. I'll make a publication of their work at the end. I am a writer, and direct a community-oriented publishing company.

I'm a single mom myself, and I'm part of a growing art organization in my town. Here's the class description

"Kids and babies are welcome. This is an ongoing drop-in group workshop focused on our experiences but also can be any writing at all. What letters do you wish you had time to write the governor? To the food stamps office? To WIC? What story do you have to tell? This is a chance to use writing, collage, journal excerpts, etc., with a goal of remaining pro-active and positive while still honest and creative. Publication planned."

I am seeking sponsorship and funding for it, so that these women don't have to pay. I need to know what kind of class structure will be the most appealing and beneficial to the women but also as a community project. does the above sound like something you would want to do? I'm setting it up so it's a drop-in type of thing, so the women don't have to worry about missing a class. Its a weekly thing that goes several weeks, on Saturday.

But, I was wondering if it might be better to do one full-day workshop with food and, and a sponsored art activity, snacks, and distraction for the kids. We have two largish rooms situated right next to each other and I would make it so that flowing in and out of the room is absolutely OK.

Any other feedback? Any ideas on organizations that would help fund this project?

PS, as a side-note, I am focusing on single mothers right now because I think they are in the most need of supportive art services, but i hope to later branch out and just have a moms-and-kids writing circle of some kind. and even Dads too.. Just so you know I am not being exclusionary to non-single mothers. I'm kind of using this as a pilot to devlop other programming. Also, i am hoping to reach out to teen single moms because they have doubly-underrepresented voices, being teens and single moms at the same time!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM

That is a fabulous idea I absolutely love it !!!!

I think you have alot of things to follow up on. My only advice would be to just place your focus on what you are doing now, and write down your other ideas to come back to later. That is a big undertaking, but will be rewarding and there is a need for it. I love the idea of helping women compose letters, that will build their confidence and help them change their lives for the better.

I unfortunately can't help you with your question, I just wanted to let you know that I think this is a great idea

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM

I think it's a wonderful idea, too! I would lean towards making it a one day workshop to start with and then maybe have drop-in times after that. I think that a lot of moms would like to have a chance to meet with other single moms. It's a great way for them to get some moral support as well as to write. I also think people are more likely to show up if there is a specific time with specific activities planned, especially things for the kids. How fun! And, very important, too.
#4 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I think it's a wonderful idea, too! I would lean towards making it a one day workshop to start with and then maybe have drop-in times after that. I think that a lot of moms would like to have a chance to meet with other single moms. It's a great way for them to get some moral support as well as to write. I also think people are more likely to show up if there is a specific time with specific activities planned, especially things for the kids. How fun! And, very important, too.
Agreed - one day workshop would be easiest to START. Is there a homeschool group in the area? An older teen might be able to come and work with the kids and might consider it a ministry, doing it for no charge. I often did stuff like that in high school and my homeschooling allowed a very flexible schedule.

Perhaps a church or library would donate the meeting space.

A caterer or church group might donate/organize the food - our church does food ministry often, and you could write some articles for local media newspapers, announce it on the radio as a community bulletin.

I would get in touch with any local bookstores and libraries. Librarians often have programs or support local efforts to increase literacy and the arts.

Angela <><

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page