When to follow up with magazine editor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks Diane.

btw, is it ok to include estimated word counts on your query or should you let the editor decide? I am confused on that!

Also I haven't been sending samples of my work because I don't have any in print save one poem. I haven't really included anything about my work experience as a writer either because I only write for the web currently.. should I mention it though? also, should I be sending links to my web pieces?

Thanks for all the helpful info. here! I am LOVING this thread. I am going to actually ask Kelly to sticky it! :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#32 of 39 Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=ceilydhmama;12121039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]The second question I ask because now that I have truly started the 30 queries in 30 days, I'm finding that I can't do it. That's too much.

I couldn't do it either - It wouldn't be sustainable for me because I tend to be a feature writer. I put a lot into my queries. That said I probably spend 30% of my time on marketing (which I define as querying, touching base with editors by phone or email and networking), 5% on book keeping (I suck at book keeping and should bump it up), 10% on looking for story ideas and keeping up on magazines and the rest on researching and writing.

But, I'm wondering is that what the really successful writers do? Or do they do more?

They do what they can And it gets easier. When you have a few mags you write for regulary the whole process is a bit easier.
Both of your answers to these questions made me feel a bit better. I feel like I am in the remedial class. I've been working on the query process for one article idea for three days now. I realize my inexperience is slowing me down, but the process of investigating the mag, finding an expert to interview that I can name drop, and including relevant research tidbits to support the validity of the article is time consuming. (Not a complaint of the process, just a fact). Even with experience, I do not know if I could crank these out in a day. Your insights and continued encouragement, Diane, is always appreciated.
#33 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=rainbowmoon;12121178]thanks Diane.

btw, is it ok to include estimated word counts on your query or should you let the editor decide? I am confused on that!

I think the general consensus is if you give a word count you're limiting the editors opportunity to say yes. It's better to suggest a department where the story will fit.

Also I haven't been sending samples of my work because I don't have any in print save one poem. I haven't really included anything about my work experience as a writer either because I only write for the web currently.. should I mention it though? also, should I be sending links to my web pieces?

If you don't have much, just include a line that says 'writing samples available on request.' Then give a link to your online work.

-d
#34 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks again. I think my ideas are good, but had no idea how to figure out word count and was confused on the samples. I think I will actually do that and put together some samples that I would use for print as it's obviously going to be different with key wording and SEO and things, I think that is kind of like more "filler" when writing for the web. But maybe I will just send them the link to my Bellaonline site too? associated content is not the kind of work I would write for print (save a few subjects and maybe product reviews). Which brings me to my next question? If you are submitting for short clips (recipes, product reviews,etc) would you just send them with the query?

Also, how long are your average queries for magazine articles? A few paragraphs or a couple of pages? Which is better? I am thinking more details would be better but is it really? or would it become annoying?

#35 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
rainbowmoon: I've head a query should be no longer than a page. Mine have all been considerably shorter--1/3 to 1/2 a page. My sleep query (still working on it!) is going to be the longest so far, probably almost an entire page. It feels LONG and is a lot of work, but I need to be fairly detailed in order to clearly explain what my article will be about.

My natural haircare article query was very short, though (and got accepted). Short 'hook' basically followed by 'I'll cover this, this, this and this'--maybe 120 words max? That wasn't a feature article or anything though, just a fluffy piece, so I guess neither the editor nor I cared that much.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#36 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM

My queries are, at most, 4-5 short paragraphs. I typically start with an opener that shows I alter my voice to reflect a magazines style (this is often my future article's lede as well). The next graf is the 'nut graf' this is where I define what my article will be about in ONE sentence then give a few reasons for why I'm suggesting this article now. In the third graf I give a few more details to back up my article's point. This will be where I'll say which experts I plan to speak to and what the structure might look like. There are times where I don't even need this graf. The final bit is why I want to write the story and what my experience is.

I never go longer than this - there are times where an editor likes the idea and will ask for an expanded outline, but typically if you can't clearly explain your story in 2-3 paragraphs, you haven't found your story yet - you're writing about a subject.

As far as samples and clips go - be selective. If you have a few things online choose 2-3 specific examples that best fit the story you are querying.
#37 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM

thanks mamas! that's so very helpful!

#38 of 39 Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK... I have now sent *two* follow-up emails to the editor of my wedding piece. Actually, three. I emailed her saying 'Wassup?' maybe a month and a half ago, and she got me to make some revisions but said she definitely wanted the piece, and was working out which issue to use it in. Then I sent the revised version in, and haven't heard back since, despite two (identical!) emails asking politely what was up.

What do I do now? The last of those emails was only a few days ago. How long do I wait; and after that should I ring her, or what?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#39 of 39 Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
OK... I have now sent *two* follow-up emails to the editor of my wedding piece. Actually, three. I emailed her saying 'Wassup?' maybe a month and a half ago, and she got me to make some revisions but said she definitely wanted the piece, and was working out which issue to use it in. Then I sent the revised version in, and haven't heard back since, despite two (identical!) emails asking politely what was up.

What do I do now? The last of those emails was only a few days ago. How long do I wait; and after that should I ring her, or what?
Just phone - you're email may be going into a black hole or any number of things might be up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page