Do you have a routine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-14-2008, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently attended a writer's conference and some writers there were talking about how they always sat in the same chair, drank coffee from the same mug, always wrote at the same time everyday, as a way to establish a "routine that leads to creative flow."

What do you think about this? With a 4 yo and a 3 yo, sometimes I have to take a notebook and hide in the bathroom to get the chance to jot down a thought during the day. So, I am left wondering if the routine writers are normal or if they are living in some fantasy world about which I can only dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-16-2008, 12:34 AM

I love love love the idea of having a writing routine. But it is so far from the realm of possibility for me at the moment. (I have a 3 y old and 3 m old).

:-)
#3 of 12 Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 AM

hahaha...routine? Um...I always use the same laptop? sometimes in bedroom, sometimes in office, sometines in living room.....

sometimes nak!

A <><
#4 of 12 Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 AM

wish I did...I just do here there everywhere.
#5 of 12 Old 09-16-2008, 02:20 AM

I never had a writing routine even before I had a baby. For me, routine doesn't lead to a creative flow. It just leads to boredom.

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#6 of 12 Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM

I have a loose routine; it helps, a lot. I write most nights after my son goes to bed for as long as I can before I need to go to bed. Also, a couple Sundays a month my husband and son go out for the afternoon and I take about 2 hours of non-stop writing time. (It takes a lot of discipline for me not to spend those two hours goofing off because I have the place to myself )

I try not to let myself go for more than 3 days without writing. I think that sticking to the routine helps me put together more coherent ideas. My thoughts seem to organize themselves better when they "know" they'll be on the page at a certain time.
#7 of 12 Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 AM

I routinely have no routine...which I guess is a routine! I write on my days off or when I only teach half days. I work around baby's naptime...which is also not on any kind of schedule.
#8 of 12 Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 PM

I think it depends if you're writing around your children, despite your children or away from your children. And don't try to compare your productivity with others who aren't doing the same.
#9 of 12 Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 AM

I have a 2.5 year old and a new little one expected in a few weeks. I take my writing time when I can get it--usually nap time, which is not consistent lately. I don't believe in writer's block, it's a luxury I can't afford . I have to make every minute count, even if that is freewriting when nothing else wants to flow. That's probably my only real routine.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#10 of 12 Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 PM

Right now I'm on bed rest, so if writing all day almost every day on my laptop in bed counts...

I'm hoping after the arrival of baby boy #3 that my mom will agree to watching the boys for a few hours every Tuesday. This will be my dedicated writing time. She lives near a coffee house that makes really, really, really good coffee and my plan is to go there for a few hours once a week. At least.

And I'll still write in bed.
#11 of 12 Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 AM

DD is now almost 10 months old, and I didn't get seriously back into writing until she was about 7 months. I probably would have done it a lot sooner if there hadn't been so many other transitions and changes in my life -- getting married and moving across the Atlantic being the two big ones.

I write during nap time, which for me is a routine. DD unlatches, I put her down, then it usually takes me 15-45 minutes to get around to actual writing. That includes a short lie-down (5-20 minutes) making a fresh pot of tea, and getting my computer to the dining room table. Her naps last anywhere from 20 minutes to a bit over 2 hours, and sometimes I get up in the middle to nurse her back to sleep. Sometimes, like today, that means I'm just about to get going when she wakes up again.

It works pretty well, for now. I occasionally try to write at night, but I've never been a night person and my brain works best in daylight hours, so I'm trying to spend a bit of time in the evenings reading -- reading actual books, that is, not the internet. Before DD was born, when i was living in Boston, I would go to a cafe and drink chai for an hour or two every day, usually in the morning but sometimes in the early afternoon, too. That was great. I really miss that cafe, and the chai.
#12 of 12 Old 09-28-2008, 06:21 PM

Mmmm, now all I want to do is write while I'm at a cofeehouse. That sounds way more fun than writing at the rickety kitchen table with my 4-cup coffeemaker.

I think I'm finding more of a balance these days. When I teach my day is pretty much shot...I can't yet afford to wah FT so I just have to make the most of the days that I don't get called in.

When I don't teach I can devote quite a large chunk of my day to writing..as long as Kaiya lets me. She's starting to go down for naps while still awake so this gives me even more time to work.

I think I would find myself way more productive with a steady schedule. Maybe I'll spend some time working on that in the next few days. I tend to get really distracted by email and web-surfing...uh, I mean researching.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page