NaNoWriMo prep? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
this is my first year and I am using the time to finish something that I already started last month. What are the rules? Does it have to be something you don't have a word written down yet? I mean, it's only the first draft. It's going to be bad either way until you edit it x times...
Yeah, rules are you have to start fresh. But you have a couple options - you can choose to break the rules (there's even a forum for that at nano!), or you can put aside what you already wrote and start over on Nov. 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM

subbing. I'm putting all my other writing aside to do this. I'm planning on scheduling writing time and just doing it.

If my hand heals ok..I have a bad cut on my right hand. I think it will be healed by Nov 1 though.

typing left handed and subbing
#33 of 43 Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

My idea has been going all over the place with what I want to do with it. It keeps getting too complicated! I just want to focus on actually FINISHING something as I have set out to write so many things and not finished them.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#34 of 43 Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
Yeah, rules are you have to start fresh. But you have a couple options - you can choose to break the rules (there's even a forum for that at nano!), or you can put aside what you already wrote and start over on Nov. 1.
I think that I will then PLAN to break the rules! This book is THE book that I have to write first - kwim? It's the story that HAS to be told before I can do anything else. I am just going to use November as my 'deadline' and feel like I'm in great company doing it. Just wondering when I'll find time to write with all the holiday crap coming up...
#35 of 43 Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 AM

I decided to take a look at my NaNo novel from last year today. It's a stinker, but it had its moments Reading the old one is getting me psyched about doing a new one.
#36 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM

I did Nano last year but we were in the middle of moving (two times between halloween and christmas!) so I didn't get very far. This year is looking a lot more stable and I'm looking forward to getting started. As far as planning goes, I'm working on an outline and synopsis. Oh, and the most important thing, in my opinion, is training that darn self editor voice to speak in a whisper instead of a scream.

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#37 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know of any or have any like character sheets? Like where you feel in their name and parts of their physical description, etc? I was thinking of making myself up one but if it's already made it would appeal to my lazy side.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#38 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 05:13 PM

I can't believe it, but I just signed up. I used to write so much in my teens and early 20s, but that fell to the wayside after I got married and had kids. I have two big fears about this venture:

1. I think my writing skills have atrophied and I'm concerned that whatever I write will be bad and possibly incoherent.

2. All of the stories I have floating around in my head are very personal. They contain elements of my life that I'm not comfortable sharing with my close friends and family. I'd have to either write something that's not from my heart, or I'd have to be okay with writing purely for myself with the knowledge that no one else would read my book.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#39 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 AM

Last year I crashed and burned early on - but this year, my DD will be 20 months old and I won't be going to school, so hopefully this is more doable. I want to have an outline at least this time - some amount of planning, since I think one problem I had was having no idea what to write.
#40 of 43 Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Anne, don't worry about how good the story will be or how personal.. NaNo is about writing for the love of writing... it is about getting the story out and not worrying about how bad it is for now.. November is for writing.. December is for editting..

Yes your skills may have atrophied a bit, but the more you write the better you will get..And 30 days of consistant writing will definately help! if you don't write, your skills will stay stagnent..

what do you have to lose? except maybe starting/completeing a lifetime dream?! that's part of this for me..I've always wanted to be a writer.. this is one way to live that dream.. if only for a month! Maybe I'll continue after that, maybe not..I hope I will...

Kym

ps I meant to add no one else need to read what you write.. this can be just for you
#41 of 43 Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness I have completely changed my plot! On the plus side because I finally have fallen into one that "fits" I have been able to rattle off a rough outline and plan some chapters already. : I want to have the outline and character synopsis's all typed up and stapled ready to go by my laptop by midnight Nov. 1 Uh... that's just little over a week away.... : But I know I need to be organized like that because I also work 3 hours a day and believe it or not that takes a lot out of me on top of being home with 3 little ladies 5, 2, and 1 *faints*

I am seriously insane to be so excited about this....

#42 of 43 Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Oh my goodness I have completely changed my plot! On the plus side because I finally have fallen into one that "fits" I have been able to rattle off a rough outline and plan some chapters already. : I want to have the outline and character synopsis's all typed up and stapled ready to go by my laptop by midnight Nov. 1 Uh... that's just little over a week away.... : But I know I need to be organized like that because I also work 3 hours a day and believe it or not that takes a lot out of me on top of being home with 3 little ladies 5, 2, and 1 *faints*

I am seriously insane to be so excited about this....
I'm glad you found a plot that really fits. Took me a while to decide on one two and in the end I decided mine is going to be more about the characters and less about the big things going on around them. I really need to have character discriptions and back stories all ready to go too. I don't know if I could do chapter synopsis though. It's been a while since I've tried to do anything this big but I'm hoping just main plot points will be enough. Good luck with writing while having a part time and full time job! That's quite the tall order but I'm hoping that with many people being in similar boats we can all support and encourage each other I know I'm going to need it too
#43 of 43 Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 AM

I'm doing nano again this year with 2 rules 1- I'm going to finish, and 2- I'm breaking the nano rules because I'm writing non-fiction, but as another PP said, this is the story I have no choice but to write before anything else will flow.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page