Writers' conferences?.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In working at home well someone suggested once to go to writers' conferences to plug in your books and ideas, anyone ever been to one? or knows how/where to find schedules for writers' conferences?

Any information on the topic is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 3 Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 PM

I HIGHLY recommend any kind of occasion that gets writer's together. I just went to one over the weekend and the energy and comradarie is infectious. Any kind of feedback moves you along (that is, if it isn't negative and rude... focas should be on the strengths of your writing - DO NOT accept toxic feedback!). Writing workshops that use prompts and writing sprints unblock and let you write in your real voice (because there's no time to censor yourself).

I'm not sure how to link you up with local writers other than the way I did it: http://www.pw.org/.

Good luck!

joanna
#3 of 3 Old 10-26-2008, 11:50 PM

I've been to three conferences, and all were worth the time and money. The first one I went to was the Southern California Writer's Conference, which was good but made me feel like I was suffocating. (Could have been because it was my first one.) After that, I joined SCBWI (society of children's book writers and illustrators) and then went to their L.A. conference--twice (even though I moved across the country and it cost a whole lot more). I have met new best friends, got inspired, found my literary agent (although I didn't actually MEET her at the conference--just thought she was good), and got immersed.

One other thing you can do is join an organization, such as the SCBWI. There are lots of them out there--I know there's one for Romance writers, and there's got to be some for Sci-Fi fantasy.

What do you write?

If you write kid-oriented stuff, check out www.scbwi.org.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page