NaNoWrMo....in November? what bad timing!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
National Novel Writing Month...in November?!?!? Does anyone else think this is horrible timing? With all the holidays coming up and all the prep and running around work, when exactly am I supposed to find time to finish my novel...in November?!??!

If anyone else is in the same boat as me, I'm doing MY novel writing month in January. It's a longer month, there aren't any family gatherings that suck the life out of your wallet and take all your energy to endure, and it's the lull right after the holidays when you're snowed in and don't feel like doing anything else for anyone else...what BETTER time to write your novel!?!?!

Anyone else on board with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM

lol, NaNoWriMo was started by a single guy with a bunch of single friends.

He (Chris Baty) wrote a book No Plot No Proglem that talks about picking a month that works for you if you don't/can't do November. I think the big plus about November is that you have so many other people doing it too, to support and encourage you.

I'm going to try for the first time this year, but I don't host any holiday stuff, and dh does most of the xmas shopping :. If November doesn't work out for me (or even if it does) I may want to give January a shot.
#3 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM

I like the support and playing on the NaNo board and meeting local writers so November is when I write. Back before baby I got a lot of writing done during the Thanksgiving break.
#4 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've been writing crazy for about 3 months now and am about mid way through, and I really wanted to participate but so much family stuff (and MIL just found out she has breast cancer) so we're maxed this year. If anyone wants to do January, I'll be your support I've got about 260+ pages done and supper proud of myself - I hope that doesn't come across as snobby or whatnot, I'm just actually really loving doing it
#5 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM

I actually don't find it so difficult, even though November is a very busy month. It's only 1,667 words a day. I know I write at least that much each day surfing on message boards! So I cut out my surf time and devote it to writing, instead.

What I always try to do is write at least 3,000 words in the first week. That gives me enough of a buffer that as the month wraps up, and I'm doing Thanksgiving and stuff, I don't have to stress about getting my words in for the day.

Having the pressure of a deadline is very helpful to me. I'm a procrastinator, and if I tried to do it on my own I'd never make it. Knowing that if I don't finish I won't get that purple bar by my name on the Nano forums is very encouraging to me.
#6 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

well, maybe it'll help me keep my sanity this holiday season last year Christmas almost killed me (no kidding) I've found that writing my writing helps me destress and be a better person...ok, so I'm just going to do it - you've changed my mind! thanks I was just starting to feel overwhelmed about the oh so fun holiday season...
#7 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I love NaNoWriMo and always look forward to it, but it is terrible timing. November is my Christmas prep month, but once again, I'll be trying. I flopped big time last year, barely getting 10k words in before totally giving up. Maybe I can get Christmas together in October for once this year
#8 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, how do you make your 'words' total increase? do you have to copy/paste into the site? or is there a place to put in your total. I'm leery about putting my writing on the web
#9 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 01:35 PM

You copy/paste into a word verification engine. It scrambles your words, counts them, and then deletes the material. It's very safe---no human will see your novel!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#10 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to not join in on the fun and just use the 'Novel Month' to finish up what I have started. Just past 57K words today and, although I'm sure I'll delete a good chunk of it while editing, I feel like I'm getting where I want to go! It started out as a bleak story but has really taken a turn to becoming more of a fun loving one. :
#11 of 13 Old 10-21-2008, 12:52 AM

I love Thanksgiving. I love cooking an elaborate feast for my family. And I spend the entire month cooking things (with stuff like broth and pie crust prepared and frozen at the beginning of the month). So, it's a busy time for me, too. But I want the support of doing it in a group.
#12 of 13 Old 10-22-2008, 12:31 AM

Bad timing but I'm still doing it!

I wrote my outline today...my idea is coming together..I'm excited:
#13 of 13 Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM

It might not be a great time of the year, but it is the right time in life for me.. I am sooo ready for this..soo excited!! I love my story idea and look forward to writing it! : I can't wait! I have a count down on my calendar till NaNo starts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page