Mamas who submit regularly to literary journals... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to start a thread to discuss our results and how we go about doing things. So... some questions to start.

What kind of work do you submit (ex. poetry, fiction, etc...)?
To what journals do you submit?
How often?
What journals to you subscribe to?
Have you been published?

And anything else you might want to add.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 3 Old 10-31-2008, 12:30 PM

I am not yet submitting regularly, but I am submitting and writing often.

What kind of work do you submit (ex. poetry, fiction, etc...)? Mostly fiction and nonfiction. Sadly, I do not have a poetic soul.

To what journals do you submit? A good place to start if you are just beginning is the journal called The First Line. www.thefirstline.com I have submitted there a few times, and although I haven't been published, I always get a very personalized and enthusiastic response. Also, The Sun Magazine (non fiction), Tin Roof (oh, in my wildest dreams I would get published there), the Kenyan Review, Granta (another dream), Glimmer Train, Hotel Amerika...I guess the pretty standard ones.

How often? I would like to submit to one once a month, but it doesn't happen.

What journals to you subscribe to? No subscriptions right now. My local bookstore has a good selection, and since money is tight, I go there once a month or so and look at everything they have and buy the one or two that are most interesting to me.

Have you been published? Umm...no

I have a question...do you write specifically for a particular journal (i.e. to fit its style and general content) or do you just write whatever comes out and they try to find a journal that fits the piece?
#3 of 3 Old 10-31-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I write stories (as I write mostly fiction) the way I think they work well, and how they make me happy, and then try to place them with a literary journal. My work deals primarily in Appalachia, so there are several that I feel my work fits with.

I'll answer my own questions now.

1. fiction (gave up poetry a long time ago.)
2. Appalachian Heritage, Shenandoah, Sewanee Review, The Southeast Review, Rosebud, Calyx, etc...
3. As little as once a month and as much as 3 times a month (depending on how productive I am)
4. Right now I subscribe to Fugue (they had a $12 submitter's special), and will subscribe to Appalachian Heritage as soon as I get an extra $20.
5. Not yet... I'm not giving up until I give it my best effort. I want this to be my life's work. Unless I'm totally horrible at it and haven't figured that out yet (I've been writing since the 5th grade), then I feel like hard work will make me a published writer one way or another.

If there is anything else anyone wants to share, feel free. Submitting to literary journals can sometimes be a confusing world. Sharing with one another about our experiences is a great thing I think.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page