How much does it cost to self-publish? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I don't even have my book written yet, but I'm considering self-publishing. That was I can get my foot in the door of the writing world and start making a name for myself. But I'm concerned about paying for it. How much does it usually cost to self-publish? And how does one go about getting the books into the bookstores, rather than just being available online?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 5 Old 11-06-2008, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amazon has a print-on-demand program that's free, I think

http://lisashea.com/lisabase/writing...bookpublished/

check the menu on the side about free print-on-demand
#3 of 5 Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
So I don't even have my book written yet, but I'm considering self-publishing. That was I can get my foot in the door of the writing world and start making a name for myself. But I'm concerned about paying for it. How much does it usually cost to self-publish? And how does one go about getting the books into the bookstores, rather than just being available online?
are you considering fiction or non-fiction? for fiction, self-publishing is the opposite of foot in the door. for non-fiction, if you have a unique subject AND will sell a lot of copies (and are willing to work on distribution, marketing, etc) this could possibly work. but only if your sales are significant. and honestly i have no idea what "significant" means, but is all about sales, not about having a book in a print form.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#4 of 5 Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Coming out of semi-lurking to agree with Ania. Self-publishing would be, I think, a good way for somebody who wanted to write a memoir to share with friends and family, but there is, unfortunately, no way to pay your way into the publishing world (many brick and mortar stores won't sell self-published books, or will only carry a very few.) Certainly, there have been a few authors who successfully self-published, but the vast majority of writers who become authors do it "the old-fashioned way."

If I were you, I would concentrate on getting my book written first. Planning on publication takes creative juices away from your words!! Then edit it a million times and start sending it off to agents and/or publishers who fit your book.

However, if you are still interested in self-publishing, you might want to check here: http://www.writersweekly.com. You can find a lot of information about scams and false advertising here and Angela Hoy runs a self-publishing company called Booklocker.

HTH!
#5 of 5 Old 01-07-2009, 03:12 PM

And one more thing. I hear, again and again, that Publish America is not a good option, and is close to being a rip-off.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page