Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mothers' Writing Group (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/)
-   -   Question on Income from Writing (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/996292-question-income-writing.html)

MyTwoAs 11-09-2008 06:43 PM

I know that discussing income isn't always a cool thing to do but I'm finding it hard to find data for comparison so I thought I would ask a question by using an anonymous poll.

If you write to either supplement your (or your family's) income or as a primary income stream, how much per month (on average) do you make?

I'm currently working on my paid writing endeavors about 20 hours per week and trying to gauge whether I want to pursue this with a little more focus.

MyTwoAs 11-09-2008 11:23 PM

Hmm, one response and several views - guess it is more of a taboo topic than I thought. If anyone knows of a website with statistics please feel free to post the URL.

lisarussell 11-10-2008 12:54 AM

I think the poll idea was genius, we can't we how people voted, can we? Not that I care- I'm open but I know some people won't vote if they see that. I used to bring in 3000 plus, but not anymore. My goal is $5,000-$10,000 a month in passive income. Like soon, very soon and only writing 3-4 hours a day, OK. That's all.

MyTwoAs 11-10-2008 01:01 AM

Thanks Lisa, you're right - the poll is anonymous.

Ellien C 11-10-2008 06:23 AM

Well, I don't write but I viewed it just to see what people made. I bet that's why the views are so much higher than the responses.

mamadaan 11-10-2008 07:00 AM

I write for a set amount up front. I don't have articles that give me a passive stream of income. The amount that I earn varies a lot. We moved in the Summer and have been doing a house up since then. This has meant that my writing time has been cut . Yesterday, I managed to write for a whole day again, so maybe it will start picking up.

Mamja 11-10-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
Well, I don't write but I viewed it just to see what people made. I bet that's why the views are so much higher than the responses.
Yeah, I'm still getting started.

MyTwoAs 11-10-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

Ahh yes, very good point! I was hoping I didn't offend anyone.

lalaland42 11-10-2008 06:41 PM

I viewed but didn't know how to answer so I didn't. I just stopped writing for a large company as a contractor and made between $5k and $6 a month. They lost their writing budget and now I am trying to find new clients. So currently, um, nothing?

Crystal Pegasus 11-18-2008 01:34 PM

We make varying amounts each month with our articles on our websites, which earn passively through advertising income. So, we're not actually *paid* for our articles, but they are the *honey* that attracts the *bees* (ad clicks).

tjjazzy 11-25-2008 02:57 PM

i don't write enough to make a lot at the moment but WOW to some of the $3000 and up!! that's great. i'd love to have a lucrative writing career someday when i have time. what do you do to get in that bracket?! ...if you don't mind me asking.

krystyn33 11-30-2008 04:29 PM

What do you do to get paid at all, other than in printed copies? Seriously, I've been under the impression that apart from luck & timing (making it to Oprah or the NYT bestseller list) writing--at least the artistic expression variety opposed to technical writing or journalism--has little potential to bring in a livable income. I'd love to be wrong!

MyTwoAs 11-30-2008 04:37 PM

Good question krystyn, I do technical and content writing plus blogging so not really artistic.