Montessori home school schedule for 2.5 yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

Can anyone suggest a homeschool schedule based somewhat on Montessori, for a 2.5 year old (with a 2 week old sister)? I'm not really good with time management or very organized (at least not at home, I was when working), but I feel we need consistency more now than ever.

My toddler is having a hard time adapting to the new sister. Also dad works out of the home and his schedule is very erratic, from the times he wakes and sleeps to times he eats!

My toddler usually wakes by 7:30am. Sometimes naps, sometimes does not. I would like to add time to do grocery shopping, outings, etc. I know this time will greatly expand once we get into Spring too. Also need time for housework.

TIA
#2 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Check out this blog and considering emailing the author. Her daughter is about the same age. Good luck!
http://chasingcheerios.blogspot.com/
#3 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
#4 of 11 Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 AM

Hello PersimmonPatch,

What a great opportunity that you have to stay at home and foster a love for learning in your daughter! I lead a Montessori-inspired class and based on our schedule I would like to suggest the following schedule to try in your home:

7:30-8:00 Wake up, clean room, care of self. (Invite your toddler to work on these activities independently and let him/her learn for themselves. Help when needed, but encourage that they do it first.)

8:00-8:30 Prepare breakfast, eat, clean. (Same applies here. My kids love to cook, and enjoy cleaning their tables and chairs with soapy dishtowels.)

8:30-9:15 Independent work with Montessori lesson.

9:15-9:30 Clean up.

9:30-10:00 Outdoor play (if possible), or free play with regular toys.

10:00-11:00ish By this time my two's and three's are a bit tired and wanting to wind down for lunch and snack. We generally have a story time with restroom break, Spanish, and a video to transition them into the afternoon. Now would be a good time to take the trip to the grocery store, or an outing to the library for story time, or your local park or children's museum.

11:00-11:30 Lunch and clean up.

11:30-12:00 Art and crafts, yoga, wind down for nap.

12:00-2:30 Transition to nap time and actual sleep time.

By the time your child wakes up, you'll be well into your afternoon and your child free to explore and play as (s)he wishes. I empathize with you that a schedule is needed an it is sometimes hard to maintain in the home, but if you are firm about nap times and adjust the schedule to best fit your family's lifestyle, you will all benefit from it.

I have parents that have told me that there children do not nap at home, but at our school they sleep, partially because we've made sure that our nap room is a calm and quiet place to rest--and as adults we insist that they are quiet and sleep. Children at this age can go about their day without a nap, but they are much more pleasant when they have a good two hours of rest and sleep time.

I hope this helps. If you get a chance, check out my blog, where you'll find easy activities and more in-depth Montessori resources.

http://www.myhouseboutique.typepad.com
#5 of 11 Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Hi! I too have a 2 year old little boy and a 2 month old baby girl. I am very keen to start my boy on Montessori education but can't decide which activity is best as he is going through a phase of capricious behaviour.

I understand that it is not useful to start sensorial materials before he builds his concentration through practical life activities. He is currently going through a period of throwing things to get attention and I do lack the experience to entice him with the right activity.

Can anyone suggest how I can get my boy started with montessori education?
#6 of 11 Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinegrape View Post
Hi! I too have a 2 year old little boy and a 2 month old baby girl. I am very keen to start my boy on Montessori education but can't decide which activity is best as he is going through a phase of capricious behaviour.

I understand that it is not useful to start sensorial materials before he builds his concentration through practical life activities. He is currently going through a period of throwing things to get attention and I do lack the experience to entice him with the right activity.

Can anyone suggest how I can get my boy started with montessori education?
I have some practical advice, but am going to have to run in a few minutes to get showered and go to a comedy show. Ugh...my life is hectic.

In the meantime, check out this page:
http://astore.amazon.com/monteblog-2...g=UTF8&node=24

There are some great books about Montessori for infant/toddler to purchase through amazon.com on that page.

Matt
#7 of 11 Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 AM

Thank you so much for recommending those books. Seems like the one by Maja Pitamic will be very useful for me. Thinking of getting it
#8 of 11 Old 02-15-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersimmonPatch View Post
Thanks!
Thanks from me aswell!
#9 of 11 Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, keeping ANY kind of schedule with our new baby has been rough. Also my husband works in and out of the house, requiring calm and quiet at any given time! The new baby is a "drama queen". She laughs and plays hard, but cries as loud as an opera singer!

So...we've been doing the best we can!
I appreciate the replies and am really trying to incorporate some of your ideas.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good curriculum guides for montessori homeschool/preschool. And maybe a place to purchase them second hand.

Thanks,
Michelle
#10 of 11 Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Great question and answers! Handmadeheartloved, I love your schedule and think this will help us. Right now we do more of the free-time stuff in the morning and then learning. Flipping them will likely be a great thing.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#11 of 11 Old 05-14-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

We will probably have to flip most of the outside play to the AM when the weather gets hot!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page