My final Montessori charter school tour... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....and WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!! : :

I am so incredibly impressed with our charter M school here that I am seriously (no, SERIOUSLY!) going to need heavy therapy if we do not get in during the open enrollment lottery. This school is perfect and AMAZING and better than I could have ever hoped for. I toured 3 of their campuses and the one that I saw today (that is less than a mile from our house and the one I had high hopes for my children attending) was mind blowing. Teachers and staff were incredibly knowledgeable about the Montessori pedagogy and the vibe was downright freakisly right. The classrooms were beautiful and peaceful and the children....wow...the children were awesome.

I am also seriously considering Montessori training and possibly becoming a teacher. The more I witness this style of education, the more I want to educate.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#2 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 AM

That sounds wonderful! I just found the most amazing Montessori Charter school here as well and I just have to get my daughter in!! I know she will thrive there!!

Good Luck to you!!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#3 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 AM

Congratulations! I toured our public Montessori on Tuesday, and I was way more impressed than I thought I'd be, too.

: Sending you happy vibes for getting selected in the lottery!
#4 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCFD View Post
I am also seriously considering Montessori training and possibly becoming a teacher. The more I witness this style of education, the more I want to educate.
Totally. I never wanted to teach before I learned about Montessori.

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats
#5 of 21 Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:

You'd rock as a teacher. We'll open our own school. Feel like moving to Taiwan? :P
#6 of 21 Old 02-01-2009, 04:54 PM

oh, yay!!!! I hope your LO gets in!

and how exciting about you considering training.... Montessori teaching is a whole different world

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 21 Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Good luck.

Our first year, we were number 72 on the waiting list.

This year, we started at number 10 on the waiting list and are now number 2. I'm really hoping we'll make it in by the end of the year, but there are no guarantees.

I'm getting ready to send in the lottery form for next year, and I so hope that we don't need it!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#8 of 21 Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Good luck.

Our first year, we were number 72 on the waiting list.

This year, we started at number 10 on the waiting list and are now number 2. I'm really hoping we'll make it in by the end of the year, but there are no guarantees.

I'm getting ready to send in the lottery form for next year, and I so hope that we don't need it!
Oh, gosh...I'm so sorry! I hope a couple kids move by the end of the year and you get in! Please tell me your are not in Northern California.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#9 of 21 Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Oh, gosh...I'm so sorry! I hope a couple kids move by the end of the year and you get in! Please tell me your are not in Northern California.
No, I'm in Northern Florida. There are only two Montessori Magnet schools here (but tons of other magnets), yet still competition is fierce. The thing is, there's not a lot I can do to improve my odds. Siblings get preference.. military family members... and I think that's about it. Oh well, I'm hoping it happens. And I hope you get in on your first try!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#10 of 21 Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Hi BCFD:

I hope you get in. Where is this school in n. CA if you don't mind me asking ? We used to live in CA for years and moved out finally. I'm always amazed at the number of accredited Montessori schools there are in N. CA alone.

Thanks!
#11 of 21 Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75 View Post
Hi BCFD:

I hope you get in. Where is this school in n. CA if you don't mind me asking ? We used to live in CA for years and moved out finally. I'm always amazed at the number of accredited Montessori schools there are in N. CA alone.

Thanks!
Hi Sam! I agree that there are a TON of Montessori schools in Northern CA (some of them are not so good). We are in the burbs of Sacramento and there is a charter school here with 5 different campuses all funded by the district in which they are physically in. It's called California Montessori Project http://www.cacmp.org We toured 3 campuses and I was incredibly impressed with all 3. I actually wrote down on our application under my occupation: At home mom/Montessori enthusiast. I thought maybe I'd drop the hint.

I just keep hoping there will be a Montessori high school by the time my kids hit 9th grade. I think there may be one in the Bay area?

#12 of 21 Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I just happened to remember there is another charter M school in Placer County called Maria Montessori Charter Academy. I may also look into that school. http://www.mmcharter.org

#13 of 21 Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

That is good to know.. although Sacramento is just too hot for us if we ever move back to CA! :-) Also too far from the beach too. Public Montessori sounds so tempting when you think how much it costs otherwise esp. when you are paying for more than one child!
#14 of 21 Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75 View Post
That is good to know.. although Sacramento is just too hot for us if we ever move back to CA! :-) Also too far from the beach too. Public Montessori sounds so tempting when you think how much it costs otherwise esp. when you are paying for more than one child!
Oh, I don't mind the heat. There is usually one major heat wave in the summer with temps at 106 or so. I'm from the east coast where humidity is unbearable. At least in Sacto you can open your windows at night and get the Delta breezes. And the beach is only 90 minutes away! And TONS of choices of Montessori school makes me want to stay put out west.

#15 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 AM

Good luck, BCFD, on getting in! It sounds like it was a great fit.

I'm in Portland, OR and there is a new Montessori charter that will be open in the fall. My son has never been in M but we're currently in a terrible school so I'm exploring all of the options.

I'm concerned about this one because it's brand new - they don't even have a facility yet so I'd be taking a big risk. But the woman who is heading up this charter also has a private preschool Montessori school so she has experience.

Do you have any recommendations for what to ask and look for? I'm going to apply because I feel like I need to have as many options for next year as possible but I'm not familiar enough with Montessori to even know what to look for...and specifically, what to be concerned about.

Anyway, any advice would be great. And good luck to you!
#16 of 21 Old 03-28-2009, 03:00 AM

Any news?
#17 of 21 Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, I just happened to remember there is another charter M school in Placer County called Maria Montessori Charter Academy. I may also look into that school. http://www.mmcharter.org
BCFD, did you ever look into Maria Montessori Charter Academy? I am considering it for my son and would love to have some insight, opinions of the school.
Thanks!!!
#18 of 21 Old 04-05-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampangel View Post
Any news?
WE GOT IN! WOOOOOO! I am just so excited and relieved!! What a great summer this is going to be for us knowing that for the next 12 years or so my 3 girls will all have a K-8 Montessori education. : Thanks for asking!!

MMS04, I replied to your PM. I'd be happy to tell you more about the school we are going to. I do not know much about the Maria Montessori Charter, but I think the most important think you can do is make a list of what is important to you and for your child and then go observe the classrooms.

Swampangel, there are some really good threads here about what to look for. I think everybody is different, really. I have friends that just want a school with the highest test scores and that doesn't concern me that much. The school dd will be going to does have a pretty high API, but I was more concerned with how they handle discipline and rewards, parental involvement, how strong their PTA is, and how TRUE to the Montessori curriculum they are. One of the biggies for me was the math program. I didn't want my 1st grader doing worksheets all day at a desk using Singapore math. I wanted MONTESSORI math. I want my child to be able to work according to her ability, not be at a certain level because "now she's 6 and should be doing this". I also wanted there to be science involved in her elementary education. A lot of public schools these days only teach to the standardized test and don't even have a science curriculum.

Plus, I'm a fan of Montessori and can't imagine any other type of education for my kids.

#19 of 21 Old 04-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The school dd will be going to does have a pretty high API, but I was more concerned with how they handle discipline and rewards, parental involvement, how strong their PTA is, and how TRUE to the Montessori curriculum they are.(
These are all important to me, too. The biggest thing for me is that I want my child in an environment where he is happy and thriving. Discipline is huge for me. We're in a really punitive environment right now and it's a nightmare. Are there typical "methods", so to speak, in Montessori for how they manage the classroom and handle discipline? I want kids and families treated with respect. I want to be able to be an involved as I want or can be. Most of all, I want my children to enjoy being there and having their love of learning nurtured and fostered.

I'm so happy for you and only hope I'm posting something very similar in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed!
#20 of 21 Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I do know that our new school uses positive discipline and very little extrinsic rewards. I think this could vary from teacher to teacher, so I plan on being a room parent. Montessori schools should be very focused on intrinsic rewards, not extrinsic. I toured a couple of non-Montessori schools in our district and was horrified at how many extrinsic rewards they use to motivate children. One of the schools actually took away recess as a disciplinary action and another school said they would make the child sit at a table with their head down for non-compliance. I was horrified to say the least. One of the so-called "best" schools in our district is an Open school and is supposed to be very child centered and Montessori-ish minus the materials. However, when I toured this school all I saw was rows and rows of desks. One 4th grade classroom was so cramped that we could barely observe. All the children looked bored to tears staring at their teacher and one little girl didn't even have a pencil!! The teacher noticed about 10 minutes into her lesson that she didn't have anything to write with!! I'm sure it's because she didn't want to raise her hand in front of all the children. However, if this would have been a Montessori classroom, she simply would have walked over to the pencil basket, got a pencil, and would go back to complete her work. I was SHOCKED!

You really have to tour the school. I think there was a post here by Sierra that had an amazing checklist. Let me see if I can find the link and I'll post it for you.

#21 of 21 Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 AM

Hi, I just saw this thread.  Years later, how do you like CMP?  I'm hoping my daughter gets in to CMP Carmichael this fall (for kindergarten). I toured 3 campuses also (Carmichael, American River, and Capitol) and I'm planning to be there end of the month when they do the lottery.  I'm so nervous!!! Did you get into the campus you liked? 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page