Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or can we do hand washing in the sink?
#2 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 PM

In my son's Montessori classroom, they have a stand with all it's prettiness- nailbrush, pitcher of water, shallow ceramic bowl, small towel, soap, etc. But that's not where 30 kids wash their hands. I think it's just for lessons and using of the hand washing material during work time. You know, get a lesson in how to effectively clean hands from beginning to end, so that they can then transfer that skill to the bathroom when it's time for the real thing.

I think of it kind of like all the pouring they do - little ceramic pitchers into beautiful dainty cups. They don't actually drink this water. But when it's time to sit at the table for snack or lunch, when those small glass pitchers come around, they have the confidence to try the real thing.

I think in the home, setting up all the supplies on a low table for awhile would be sufficient. keep in mind most sinks are large, faucet handles far away or hard(er) to turn off and on, etc. practicing with child-size components would be confidence building.
#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
In my son's Montessori classroom, they have a stand with all it's prettiness- nailbrush, pitcher of water, shallow ceramic bowl, small towel, soap, etc. But that's not where 30 kids wash their hands. I think it's just for lessons and using of the hand washing material during work time. You know, get a lesson in how to effectively clean hands from beginning to end, so that they can then transfer that skill to the bathroom when it's time for the real thing.

I think of it kind of like all the pouring they do - little ceramic pitchers into beautiful dainty cups. They don't actually drink this water. But when it's time to sit at the table for snack or lunch, when those small glass pitchers come around, they have the confidence to try the real thing.

I think in the home, setting up all the supplies on a low table for awhile would be sufficient. keep in mind most sinks are large, faucet handles far away or hard(er) to turn off and on, etc. practicing with child-size components would be confidence building.
Same at ds's school. He loves the handwashing work, but I don't think he likes plain old handwashing.
#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post

Thanks! That was very helpful!
#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Same at ds's school. He loves the handwashing work, but I don't think he likes plain old handwashing.
I loved it as a kid, too.
#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_light View Post
Or can we do hand washing in the sink?
I used a hand washing table at home when my daughter was about 1 yr through 2 1/2 so that she could stand and wash her hands and develop the attention to soaping. To this day, I never have to remind her to wash her hands after using the potty. Once she started to feel more confortable using the adult sink, she used the hand washing table less and less. Now we put hair accessories, manicure/pedicure, towels and cleaning set there.

When setting up the home in Montessori fashion, the thought is to aid independence so that the child is standing on his own two feet, performing these actions on his own initiative.

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats
#7 of 8 Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM

I'd love to hear what everyone uses for handwashing stations. I have a 15 month old who would love to have one. Also, how do you contain the mess with splashing?
#8 of 8 Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 AM

I bought a small two shelf wooden unit from target. I put the basin, pitcher, soap and soap dish, nail brush and sponge on top and towels and bucket on the bottom shelf.
We put a small decorative mirror on the wall above it.
Control the water splashing with a small pitcher and towels to wipe up.
Children are especially attentive to wiping small water droplets with a sponge at young ages.

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page