What's in your Montessori baby room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm gathering ideas on how I'll set up our new baby room. Actually haven't yet decided whether the new one will share a room with my (will be) 3-year-old or not. We plan to co-sleep, but have a floor bed for naps.

I'm also interested in mirrors. I know some don't use them (is that correct?), so I'd love to hear opinions and experience with mirrors in an infant room.

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

What about what you would do if you were setting up a baby room?
#3 of 12 Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM

yes, mirrors! along the floor where baby can see body movements easily. Either near the floor bed or next to a thick mat for tummy time.

low shelves with manipulatives such as baskets of wooden rattles for the first few months.

mobiles hanging from the ceiling, but low enough babe can see them well.

real pictures (as in animals, or family members--as opposed to characters like Pooh).

I would also have an area to change the baby, and a comfy rocking chair or similar to nurse.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM

http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_...sori-room.html

i check out this (very new) mom's blog from time to time. she is a former M teacher and crafter.
#5 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM

I am reading Paula Polk Lillard's book on montessori from the start. My lo is 8m so it's a little late. She has a picture of the ideal montessori nursery. It is a lot larger than our nursery. She says double futon on floor w/ carpet or rug next to it, rocking chair, changing table, low mobile, mirror by bed. low shelf for toys.
She also says you should have it baby proof from the get go. Hanging pockets for diaper rash cream etc.

good luck
#6 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekoolaid View Post

i check out this (very new) mom's blog from time to time. she is a former M teacher and crafter.
thank you for sharing! what a beautiful Montessori nursery

#7 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
That is a beautiful room! I love the mirrors and the drawings.

On a side topic, could someone explain to me the floor bed? What's the theory behind it?
#8 of 12 Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM

this way the child can safely and independently get in and out of bed. the room should be child proof and the door closed. the versus a crib which children is up high and trying to get out of it could hurt the baby b/c it is up so high.
#9 of 12 Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Ok, that is probably the COOLEST and most beautiful baby room I've ever seen. I think I might just have to scrap one of our rooms and do this!! WOW! : Thanks for sharing.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#10 of 12 Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyjones View Post
this way the child can safely and independently get in and out of bed. the room should be child proof and the door closed. the versus a crib which children is up high and trying to get out of it could hurt the baby b/c it is up so high.
Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, but I didn't know if there was more to it. We never had the problem with lo climbing in/out, but I know a lot of people do! Plus, the degree of independence is nice.
#11 of 12 Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Oh thank goodness. I got a book on 0-3 Montessori from the library and the UAV of an author was going off about independent sleep. Such a relief to see a blog by a co-sleeping mama who also did a Montessori baby room.
#12 of 12 Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Oh thank goodness. I got a book on 0-3 Montessori from the library and the UAV of an author was going off about independent sleep. Such a relief to see a blog by a co-sleeping mama who also did a Montessori baby room.

I know the book you are talking about. But I just wanted to share that while Montessori does stress independence, Maria Montessori herself believed in the individual needs/customs/comforts of the family. In my 0-3 training, we talked a lot about the floor bed (and a large basket to sleep in for the newborn period) BUT there was a lecture on the family bed and how it worked to follow the needs of the child and if that meant they slept with you for the first couple years, or part-time, or preferred to sleep alone on the floor next to you, etc., then you follow their cues. You can still stress independence this way, and the recommendation was to have the adult bed low enough to the floor that once baby is mobile, they can easily get in and out on their own.

Just sharing b/c I know people often think of Montessori and AP to mesh in some ways, but not in others. We talked a lot about freedom of movement, so lots of floor time for baby, but yet babywearing was also encouraged to strengthen the bond between caregiver and child, and to build trust and security... I got my very first sling from a classmate in my training after I found out I was pregnant with DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page