Younger children and Montessori? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grr. I had a whole long post and the computer ate it. Ok, the premise of my question is what does toddler Montessori look like? Any blogs, books, websites I can look at? We are talking about 18-36 month old children. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2.5 year old is in a toddler program. I can tell you what his school is like.

They have a toddler room for 2-3 year old- they call it Primary Prep. Primary is 3-6 year olds. In the toddler program the teacher to student ratio is 6:1 whereas in the Primary I think it is like 12:1. The materials are lots of Montessori materials mixed in with some other stuff. Like cars and bikes in the play yard etc. The periods are shorter than in primary. So from 9-9:30 they play in the play yard. 9:30-10 circle time, and teacher demonstrates one of the materials as well so kids know how to interact with it. 10-10:30 work period which is open, kids choose what to do. Then they have a snack and potty. Another work period, then outside to play. Lunch- which is catered in and they all eat family style. Potty/ diapers (they work on potty learning in this class so some kids are still in diapers) Nap from 12:30-2:30. Snack- and then back outside until pick up at 3.

One of the big things they are teaching my son is how to sit in circle when other do, put away one work before taking out another, sit and eat until everyone is finished etc. I think the class basically spends a lot of time teaching the skills of being in a classroom, as well as actually learning.

My son totally blossomed in the program. He used to be shy and reserved until he warmed up to people, and he is a lot more outgoing now. He loves school, says it is his favorite, is excited to go in the morning and does not want to leave at 3.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Grr. I had a whole long post and the computer ate it. Ok, the premise of my question is what does toddler Montessori look like? Any blogs, books, websites I can look at? We are talking about 18-36 month old children. Thanks!
Here is a link to an infant/toddler Montessori video:
http://www.tschool.org/website2/Videoinfanttoddler.html
Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that video was great! I guess what I am looking for is a list of activities that fall within the Montessori spectrum, for toddlers. Or do I just water down the preschool aged ones?

For example the toddlers would love to wash a dish or some fruit or help me wipe the table, but they would not be able to do it as precisely as laid out in the M way, you know? So do I just let them do it as best they can and worry about the proper way later?

I made up some Tot trays and they like those, that has been the only real activity that I have found for toddlers. I would love some more concrete ideas!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 AM

This site has an absolute TON of ideas for activities w/ toddlers complete w/ tools, layout, and control-for-error: http://mommyme-thewonderyears.blogspot.com/

This site also has many great ideas. Go back to the beginning for younger toddler ideas: http://chasingcheerios.blogspot.com/

Those are my top two for getting Montessori-at-home ideas for toddlers

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!! That is exactly what I am looking for! Most of the ideas are common sense, like washing stuff and pouring and what not, but it helps to have them all laid out and organized in one place.

Keep the ideas coming!!!:
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 AM

The total organization and explanation of each activity is why I love those sites, so you are welcome! At this time, those are the only two I have bookmarked!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 AM

I worked when I was younger in a Montessori toddler classroom. My mom ran one for a few summers to give the students of the Montessori Teacher Education program an idea of how it works. One of the big things that she did differently is set up more stations where activities happened so there would not have to be as much returning materials to the shelf.

One idea of an activity toddlers love doing:
** Washing windows with a squeegee. Get the washable markers, let them draw on the window, then they can clean it off. My nephew spent a long time on this every time he visited my mom's house.

User Tag List