Preschool teacher home visit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this common? My sons are starting Montessori this month. I have a 2 year old going into a toddler program and a 4.5 year old going into the primary program. It sounds very sweet that they want to meet the kids and help with the transition. I am just wondering what to expect.

We are moving into our new house/new city next week, so things will be kind of hectic around our house I'm sure

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 PM

My DS is starting Montessori this year and he also will have a home visit from his teacher. I haven't experienced it yet, so I can't tell you what it's like.
#3 of 6 Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Very interesting. I had no idea that Monessori schools, some? or all?, do home visits. I'm interested to see what the visit entails, things that are discussed, suggestions or what. Very interesting.....Totally Subbing!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#4 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 04:45 PM

No worries, Directress' are taught in training that home visits are good in the beginning for a couple of reasons: The visit gives you and the directress a chance to get to know each other, it gives the child a chance to know the directress and visa versa so that the first few days are less worry some for the child and their separation anxiety (if any), it helps determine whether or not the decision to go montessori is right for that child, and it allows the directress to gather important information regarding your child's well-being. Children are not just in pre-school to learn, they're well being is also being taken care of.

Does this help?

Jdjewels
#5 of 6 Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 PM

At the Montessori school that my son attends, teachers are given the option of doing homevisits or having the parents come into the classroom. Its personal preference. When my son first started, our meeting was at the school, but I think it would have been nice for his teachers to see his home and how he acted there.
#6 of 6 Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Our school does home visits. The teacher came out for about an hour and just played with my daughter. It was a nice day, so we were in the yard the whole time. We chatted a bit, and she talked to my daughter and they played a bit.

She said the purpose is just to help with the transition: if the children see the teacher in their own home, they're more open to playing with her in a school setting. It's like an extra seal of parent-approval, which makes the kids feel more comfortable with the teacher when dropoff actually happens. It definitely wasn't an interview or house look-over (too bad: I spent days cleaning and making the house look as Montessori inspired and child friendly as possible, and we never went inside!)

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page