Changing schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dilemma. My dd is in a private M school right now and she's been offered a spot at a public school. If this were two months ago, I'd have jumped at the ps spot without a doubt. The problem is that she's been offered a 4 year old spot, but she's doing her K year in the private school. The decision to make this her K year wasn't finalized until the end of the summer (if she had been born literally 2 days earlier, the default for both schools would have been K this year). She did really well last year in most ways, but wouldn't communicate with her teachers. We gave her a few weeks off and then put her the summer program. Well, after that she completely opened up. She was very talkative, completely relaxed.

I hate to pull her out of a place where she's already comfortable - I'm afraid that she'll withdraw. On the plus side, she'd be considered a 4 year old and therefore there'd be less pressure. But if she's really ready for K, it doesn't seem to make sense to hold her back.

Ideally, she'd finish K at the private school and then go to the public M school. But it's a lottery each year. We can't afford to send both dd's to the private school through elementary. So this could be the only chance (for both of them) to get a M education.

Help me put this in perspective. Is it too disruptive to move her now? Or should the future benefits be a factor in the decision?
#2 of 2 Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's me see if I understand. Your DD is in private Montessori right now and she got offered a lottery spot at a public Montessori? And you know you can't afford the private option long term?

Honestly, I would switch her now, unless you can "save" her lottery spot until next year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page