How does Montessori teach reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-05-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am just curious. My son is showing a real interest in learning to read. Has knows his ABC since he turned 2, upper and lower case. He spends hours a day with books and wants to decipher the words. I am wondering how they go about fostering this love in a Montessori classroom. He is currently in the toddler program waiting for a space in Primary. We kept him back this fall since he has such a late birthday but we now think that was a mistake. As the brand new really young kids came in and made up so much of the class he became a bit bored, and sadly a bit of a bully. I am thinking I will start at home a bit. I don't think they do anything other than prereading in his room as the majority of the kids don't know their letters yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A great video on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoMN0Q_qKY
#3 of 4 Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Matt!
#4 of 4 Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a stream-lined outline of the AMI approach:
1. Pre-reading activities include spoken language activities and games, nursery rhymes, songs and poems. Sound games (of which there are 5) beginning around the age of 3.
2. Direct preparation for reading include working with sandpaper letters and 4 stages of working with the moveable alphabet.
3. Reading activities begin once the child demonstrates spontaneous reading with the moveable alphabet. Phonetic reading activities are followed by work with puzzle words (sight words) and phonograms (blends, dipthongs, etc). There are a variety of activities to build on non-phonetic reading skills.
4. Expansion of reading skills: reading classification, function of words and sentence analysis.
This is the basic outline for the ages of 3 to 6 or lessons that would be included in the Children's House.
There are many many reading activities for the elementary class as well.
Good luck!

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page