Son doesn't like "work" of Montessori - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squimp View Post
The director of our M school told me the same thing - that kids don't have the knowledge base to have imaginative play until they're in the older classes (6-8 year old).
That is very scary - that someone actually believes that. I see small children doing imaginative play all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
I'll also add that the only reference in the index for "manipulating objects" in Einstein Never Used Flashcards is "According to numerous research studies, however, the very best way to learn about numbers is to manipulate objects. Adding blocks on top of the stack to see how many you can pile up before it falls is Mathematics. And playing a game of cards like War is math at its best."

Sounds an awful lot like the Pink Tower, and I'm pretty sure one of the Montessori card games that older kids play is War.
I don't own the book at home but I distinctly remember reading a passage describing an experiment where the kids who were allowed to play with certain test materials did better on the test than those who were simply shown the materials or given the materials to hold, but were not to play with them. It was a puzzle or something. And the kids didn't play with them in any way like the test, they just played baseball or something. That really stuck with me. But I like experiments.

I think the pink tower was the only manipulative DD liked - simple and intuitive. But she had to put it together in a certain way, right? The classroom was stifling and boring for her - she had to be given a lesson on the proper way to use materials and was constantly corrected or discouraged when she did not use the materials as in the lesson. I'm sure some of it was the teacher, but other kids and parents really liked it there. It was just such a bad fit for us as an educational setting, we did leave.
#33 of 33 Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Real: hitting a pot makes a noise like a drum
Pretend: Stirring in the empty pot and lifting the spoon up to sip.
I'm no expert so I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that stirring the empty pot and sipping from an empty spoon is less pretend, and more mimicking a real activity - cooking dinner. In this case, the child is showing a desire to cook and should be instructed to do so with real food, etc.

I'm not saying that I believe a child cannot engage in pretend play until age 8, but just that this is my understanding of early "imaginative" play.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page