Multi-age??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I have question about the multi age classroom at my daughter's school. Here is some background info first. My daughter is 32 months. She is very bright. She talks very well and enjoys playing with other chidlren. According to her "report card" she has mastered most of the areas in the classroom especially the language.
She was in a class that was 18 months - 3years old but in January the school decided to move all the 3 years old to the primary classroom. This decision was based on age as they opened a new classroom. Now my daughter is the oldest in the room. They moved some younger children from the infant room into her room. These children are abut 14 monhs old. At first I was concerned because she enjoyed playing with the older children and most of the kids who were moved were her "best boys and girls" I was also concerned because I thought the work might change back to simpler more basic stuff. I spoke with the teacher and she assured me that DD would be okay and would enjoy the new role of leader.
Fast Forward to now- I have really noticed a huge change in my daughter's behavior. She had been very whiney. She seems like she is unhappy when we go to school. She has been using baby talk- for example she nows calls DH- Dada. I have noticed her pointing and grunting instead of talking. When I ask her to use her words she can clearly tell me what she wants. And today she told me that a girl doesnt want to play with her. I asked her why and she said "she wanted to play alone" I think this may be beacuse the other cidlren in her class are young and young toddlers do more parallel play than cooperative play.
I am beginning to get concerned by all of this(which started in January) and I want to tell her teacher but I don't want to be pushy. So here is my question: Do you think that the multiage classroom is part of the reason DD is acting like this? Do other Montessori school's move 3 year olds out?
You all are very insightful so any advice on her behavior is welcome.

Thanks,
Kim
#2 of 3 Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

I believe that it's standard to have the primary class be 3-6.

However, many schools will allow 2.5 year olds into the primary classroom if they can handle the materials and have the verbal skills to not be overwhelmed.

So what I'd do is see about getting your dd moved up.
#3 of 3 Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 AM

I agree with sapphire_chan. I don't think it would be seen as pushy to approach the teacher with your concerns and get her opinion of it. I would be surprised if you didn't. For all you know her teacher just might say, "I've been wanting to talk to you about that."

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page