is montessori catholic or religious at all? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-26-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have some questions about this type of schooling if anyone can help...

is a montessori school a catholic one? (or other religion?)

Do they teach religion there or any type of religious related values? (there is one in my area that shows a picture of a nun teaching a child on the website and outlines some of the lessons, which are religious in nature but not necessarily catholic but yet another school in my area gives no indication of relgion at all ontheir site but there arent many pics there or any outline of whats taught either so its possible they have some religion)

so Im a bit confused here. Was the original inventor of the method catholic or doesn't that have anything to do with the school?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#2 of 6 Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 PM

I may be totally wrong about this, but I think some Montessori schools cater to a particular religious groups. I remember giving swim lessons to a Sikh Montessori School in Arizona in the '90s, and I think recently I saw a Montessori school that appeared to have mostly Orthodox Jewish students. I don't think there is anything inherently religious about Montessori, though.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#3 of 6 Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM

I toured and applied to the one near our house, and there wasn't anything religious about it that I noticed.
#4 of 6 Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM

The Montessori education method itself is not religious at all. However, some individual schools that use it are Catholic or Jewish or Methodist or what-have-you, so they're Catholic AND Montessori. The school itself should be very upfront about whether it has a religious affiliation.
#5 of 6 Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Montessori itself is not religious. It is, however, not trademarked so anyone could call themselves a Montessori school. There's nothing to stop a Catholic parish, or any other religion, from setting up a religious Montessori school.

How religious the school is depends on a lot of things. It may not be very religious at all: many Catholic schools cater to non-Catholic families. I went to a Jewish preschool, despite not being Jewish. It was just very close to my house and a very nice little school.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 6 Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I agree with pp, there is a wide variety of practices that can be incorporated with the Montessori approach.
Dr. Montessori herself was Catholic but specifically created a non-sectarian educational model. She did write a book titled "The Child in the Church" about her ideas for teaching the child religion and this is the basis for the "Catechesis of the Good Shepard" program that some church schools use. You might hear it referred to as "the Atrium".
There are many Montessori schools with no religious affiliation at all, though.

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page