Transition 19 month old to floor mattress - stress - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I am brand new to Montessori but have my books out from the library and reading them, toured the local Montessori preschool (which I LOVE), and trying very hard to change things in our home to create confidence and independence for our 19 month old son. I have put in a shelf (his height) in the kitchen with glasses, bowls, utensils, napkins, one in the pantry and fridge for his snacks, and a shelf in his closet that hang his clothes. I am in the process of ridding toys (too many) and bigger furniture (changing table, toy box, etc) but find myself stumped on how to proceed from crib to mattress on the ground. Since we are late in doing this I am nervous that he will wander his room all night playing? Can anyone give me some tips please? Thank you in advance.

p.s. I hope I posted in the right place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM

are you worried he will wander IN is room or FROM his room?

we put a gate on the door so I would know dd was safe. I didn't want her coming out and falling down the stairs.

But if she wandered in her room and played in her room, that was fine. But really she never did when she was supposed to be sleeping. She was in her room like that from about 10-11 months. We still co-sleep. I sleep in her room when she wakes. She is 2 1/2 now and we took the gate off quite a while ago.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Thank you lnitti for your response. I am concerned he will wander IN his room and look at his books all night. There is a gate at his door as we have dogs. I am just having a hard time thinking the process through of how to start the transition. Do I just move the crib out cold turkey or set up his floor mattress with the crib still in his room so I don't "shock" him? Do you think since we are late starting the floor mattress he will not conform to it? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKL View Post
Thank you lnitti for your response. I am concerned he will wander IN his room and look at his books all night. There is a gate at his door as we have dogs. I am just having a hard time thinking the process through of how to start the transition. Do I just move the crib out cold turkey or set up his floor mattress with the crib still in his room so I don't "shock" him? Do you think since we are late starting the floor mattress he will not conform to it? Thank you in advance.
honestly, I am just not sure! We co-slept with both kids and never used a crib, so we never had that transition.

Could you maybe keep the crib mattress and anything that is associated with the crib so that it is still all familiar to him, just on the floor, then maybe replace the crib mattress with a larger one? You may want to post to toddlers section about transitioning from a crib to a bed.

I don't think he will look at his books all night. It will be dark right? And part of the reason for the floor-bed is so that he can have that freedom and independence to leave his bed at will. I don't think it will be too much of an issue - maybe at nap time at first, but not at night time. Especially if you start before it is still daylight outside at bedtime.

I also nursed my dd to sleep, so I never had the issue of putting her in her room asleep (yet). We'll see what happens when she weans. Right now, bedtime is pretty much the only time she nurses and she no longer naps at home (still does at school).
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

My son slept in a bassinette in our room until 6 months and then we moved to a crib...if I had made myself more informed I would have tried the floor mattress...sigh. He looks at his book (he has a special book that he is very attached to) in his crib every night for about 30 min; he is silent and seems at peace with it thus I asked would he wander around and get more books if he had that freedom? He sleeps on the floor (sleeping bag) at his home daycare if that helps. He still gets breast milk in a bottle (I have been expressing since his birth as he never could latch on - born with a undeveloped mandible) so he isn't nursed to sleep but he knows his bottle is the "night-time" routine....

I think this could work but nervous of 'change'.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM

We do a lot of Montessori at home but chose not to do the floor bed. It's not something you HAVE to do -- if you think things are working fine as they are or worry about the change, then maybe it's not worth the hassle.

The idea of the floor bed is to give the child the freedom to wander if that's what they need. But for my DD, I don't think it would have been advantageous for her. As it was, the transition from crib to toddler bed at around 2 was rough enough (after a few days, we delayed until 2.5 years and everything went very smoothly). Keeping her in a crib meant everyone slept better -- and I don't feel I've ruined her for life by doing it.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM

I would have been happy if my son would sit around in his room reading books at night at that age! He's always been a bad sleeper and didn't like to be alone, etc. We transitioned him from the crib to a mattress on the floor around 13 months. He was always a horrible sleeper and we had to stay with him until he was asleep. This made it easier for us because we could lay down with him if we wanted- I wish we did it earlier.

What is your son's bed time routine? We just took the crib right down and put a larger mattress on the floor. We had no problem, it was better than putting him to sleep in his crib- but he was a bit younger at the time than your son is now.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Thank you Jenfl. You know it never even occured to me to keep the crib...that is a thought if my stress level doesn't go down. I am not really stressed just curious and concerned.

Chekhovgirl it is the funniest thing as my son will sit up in the crib against the back railing and put his two teddies on each side of himself, pull up his blanket, and sit the book on his lap and look at his book from anywhere from 15-30 min. He rarely cries, unless we forget to put that particular book in with him. I go in after he is alseep and move the book as he is usually on top of it.

As for the routine prior to this it is dinner, bath, play in his room with daddy, then bottle in his lap. Been like this for months.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:17 PM

I am still co sleeping with my 16 month old so no help there. BUT the 2 year old I Nanny for started Montessori when she was 21 months. We implemented many things but held off on the crib to toddler bed until she was 2 and did it over her Christmas break from school in case her sleep was affected. I am not sure if waiting until she was in the montessori environment for a few months helped or not but that may be something to consider. It turned out we were worried about nothing as she has done fabulous. In fact, until just recently (3 months into it) she didn't know she COULD get out of bed, it was like the bars were still up in her mind.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you Jenfl. You know it never even occured to me to keep the crib...that is a thought if my stress level doesn't go down. I am not really stressed just curious and concerned.

Chekhovgirl it is the funniest thing as my son will sit up in the crib against the back railing and put his two teddies on each side of himself, pull up his blanket, and sit the book on his lap and look at his book from anywhere from 15-30 min. He rarely cries, unless we forget to put that particular book in with him. I go in after he is alseep and move the book as he is usually on top of it.

As for the routine prior to this it is dinner, bath, play in his room with daddy, then bottle in his lap. Been like this for months.
And then do you leave him to fall asleep on his own or is someone with him until he falls asleep? I'm guessing you leave him to fall asleep since you said he likes to sit and read. You could stay outside his door to kind of get a feel for (listen for?) what he's up to. You never know until you try, don't stress about it.

I think you should just go ahead and try it-take the plunge!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekhovgirl View Post
And then do you leave him to fall asleep on his own or is someone with him until he falls asleep? I'm guessing you leave him to fall asleep since you said he likes to sit and read. You could stay outside his door to kind of get a feel for (listen for?) what he's up to. You never know until you try, don't stress about it.

I think you should just go ahead and try it-take the plunge!
Yes, we leave him alone but I do creep up and watch and he just flips the pages and then falls asleep on top of it. I am looking for a second mattress now and will set it up as a second "rest" area and see if he conforms to it. Or maybe I should take the crib out cold turkey?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, we leave him alone but I do creep up and watch and he just flips the pages and then falls asleep on top of it. I am looking for a second mattress now and will set it up as a second "rest" area and see if he conforms to it. Or maybe I should take the crib out cold turkey?
Just wanted to see if you've tried the mattress yet- we did it cold turkey and it was fine!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 PM

We did the floor bed cold turkey at about 16 mths (we had another LO on the wy) and it is fine. Even now, at 19 mths, DD seems to not really like to wander from her bed to play. Each morning she wakes up and calls out for us to get her out of bed. I think she hasn't really twigged that it's an option (yah, my child is a genius...). Sometimes, though, she will grab a toy if she wakes early and we hear her talking and playin gin her room.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

User Tag List