Um... this costs HOW MUCH?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At the M. that's closest to us there is a great deal of diversity, which is great to see. I really don't want DS to live in some sort of weird "white" bubble. We know people who work there, so it looks like DS will be put at the top of the waiting list. The tuition is just over $500 a month for 3 days a week and it's an hour away, but after reading all of your posts I think we'll go ahead and do it.

We're between jobs right now, so I'm going to cash out some investments to pay for it. I've never touched our investments before and it's so not cool, but I think it'll be worth it, especially since the only preschool that is close to us is giving me the willies (I'm about to post a new thread about that).

Of course, we'll probably relocate before long, so I guess I'll just have to rely on my good looks to get DS into school when we move.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#32 of 35 Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighernest View Post
Oh, I totally agree, in regards to our Montessori school anyway. For whatever reason, unfortunately, it is not particularly popular down here. In fact, there isn't even a waiting list. It seems like such a small yet wonderful enterprise that it's kind of surprising that their tuition is what is it. And I think they have every right to ask for it. I guess I didn't do a good job communicating that in my original post.

As to the other private schools...LOL. They don't strike me as quite so altruistic.
The two Montessori schools near me have considerably less fancy, shiny campuses than the super expensive private schools. To be totally honest, they're kind of dingy while the regular private schools have stadium seat theaters for the drama department with complete sound and light systems (this is a prek-grade 8 school btw) and tons of landscaping and brand new computers every year and all that. Don't get me wrong, this stuff looks great and when I go on the campuses of the three pricey private elementary schools near me I'm a bit jealous of the facilities. But then I think about it, and I'm happy that the Montessori curriculum really speaks for itself, while the other schools feel the need to spend so much money on external impressions. And they're all really great schools academically... they just obviously don't think that's enough.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#33 of 35 Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM

I would love to send my two girls, but I flat out can't afford it.

The montly cost is more than my mortgage.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#34 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM

My son starts school in August when I go back to school. The tuition at his school is $845 a month for full time. BUT, since I am a student I qualify for this program called CDS (Childhood Development Services)...I pay $1.14 a day!!! I hate taking government help, but this is so worth it. We only get this help until he starts Kindergarten, but the school has a scholarship program that pays 85% of tuition for K-12, plus certain colleges. WE GOT THAT SCHOLARSHIP. He is set for life! If anyone lives in Central Florida, they should really look into CDS.
#35 of 35 Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboymelissa View Post
I hate taking government help, but this is so worth it.
Oh heck. I would NOT feel bad about something like this. If my state government offered a program that would help me give my child the best start possible, I'd take it! The only similar option we have here is a state-funded preschool, which is just not for us. I wish my state had a program like yours!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page