School Accreditation - What Does This Mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son's enrolled in a Montessori school for the fall. Some friends of mine have expressed concern that the school is not accredited (it's a brand new school). I knew that, and consider it more a "Montessori Light" type of school. It has one 3 hour work period and uses a full spectrum of Montessori materials. I've been very pleased with the several visits I've made and the discussions I've had with different teachers. The administration, however, does seem a little flighty.

Its membership status with AMS is:

Satellite Associate Member School

Does the satellite designation mean it's possible that "no" lead teachers at this site are accredited? I understood that some, not all, were accredited, but now I'm wondering if that's really the case.

And does anyone have experience with this level of school? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy's Mom View Post
My son's enrolled in a Montessori school for the fall. Some friends of mine have expressed concern that the school is not accredited (it's a brand new school). I knew that, and consider it more a "Montessori Light" type of school. It has one 3 hour work period and uses a full spectrum of Montessori materials. I've been very pleased with the several visits I've made and the discussions I've had with different teachers. The administration, however, does seem a little flighty.

Its membership status with AMS is:

Satellite Associate Member School

Does the satellite designation mean it's possible that "no" lead teachers at this site are accredited? I understood that some, not all, were accredited, but now I'm wondering if that's really the case.

And does anyone have experience with this level of school? TIA.
I am on my blackberry and it's hard to switch between web sites and do searches while I type a response, so excuse any innaccuracies, typoos (see?), or generalizations. I will look later.

Satellite means they have a different school somewhere also that is already an associate member school. I am 99% sure they have the same restrictions as far as having the same amount of lead teachers, but am not certain. It just costs less and less red tape paperwork to set up a 2nd school if one of yours is already trusted.

Associate member school - this is the level most schools are at. Accredited schools cost a lot more to get and many school owners do not want to pass on the cost to others.

From what I remember about the terms (which might be wrong since I never had to worry about them), you should be fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! This makes me feel a lot better.

User Tag List