WWYD: 3 full days or 5 half for 4yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in a big self-debate over this. I really think my dd would benefit from more time at her (super awesome) school but am not real sure which way to go- 3 full days, giving her 3 extra work cycles than what she currently has as well as the social interaction of lunchtme at school with her friends or 5 half days, giving her 2 more work cycles but also giving her more individual time with the teachers - fewer kids in her CH on thurs and fri.

I have a few days left to decide, Ive been waffling and procrastinating this decision since spring. ugh.

Any insights you guys may have for me???

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

What schedule does she currently have?

Has she indicated what she would like- a longer day or more of them?

My first instinct was to say 5 days.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 PM

When DS was in the 4's room, there was the option of 5 half days or 5 full days (but each kid came every day for consistency). The mornings were when they did all of the Montessori work. The afternoons were just nap, art, & free time. So, it might be good to find out what this particular school does in terms of daily schedule... If I was just doing half days, I'd go for the 5 half days if that meant she'd get the academics every day and do nap at home.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Currently she is 3 half days (MTW) and has constantly been talking about why can't she be a "lunch kid" and whatnot.
At her school, they have true childrens houses, where 3-6 are in one room. They do circle/lesson/work cycle/playground - then the a.m. kids leave from the playground.... then they do lunch/work cycle/playground and leave for the day from there.

There are more children in her class that do the full day MTW than 5 half though, so th-fri would be more individualized....

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Since she wants lunch, I would go with the 3 full days. Unless of course your child still needs a nap. Or, if they make them take a nap at school. My money doesn't pay for people to supervise nap time. I also would love it if the afternoons were less academic than mornings. There is PLENTY of time for academics in her future--let her paint and be creative!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 PM

If she craves lunch, then 3 days. However, I think the 5 day option is really nice for consistency and ritual in the classroom.

Jessie:  Mother of 3 daughters, 2006 and twins 2008.

AMS Trained Montessori Primary Teacher, M. Ed, and Homeschooler.....life is good!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM

I would do the 5 1/2 days. 3 full days is too long in my opinion. She'll eat lunch at school for years and years.

My 5 year-old was exhausted after being around other kids for a full day! My 3 year-old would not handle that well. But that may be particular to my kids.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 PM

With Montessori, I'd recommend the 5 half days. Is there any way they'd let her stay for lunch on occasion, so she doesn't feel like she's missing out?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM

My dd did 3 full days at her Montessori school at four and it worked really well. I liked it because I could plan full day activities with her the other two days and half days always seemed over before they even began, if you know what I mean.

At four, she didn't nap anymore. If she did, the answer might be different.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Both my son and younger daughter did 3 full days for age 4 (and 3 as well for my daughter. I actually had them registered for half days but switched part way through the year because I also had a child in elementary so I was making 3 round trips to school each day and I did find that the extra trip mid-day broke up the day quite a bit. But it wasn't all abou tme. It was nice for them to to stay for lunch since it was a social part of the day (the school provides lunch but they help with set up and clean up). because they are a year apart they were also in the same class so I was able to stagger their days so they had some days together at school, one each at home with me and one day at home together.

If you think she would benefit with a smaller group (which seems to happen on TH, F) is it an open for her to attend, T/W/Th or W/Th/F?).

User Tag List