Showering - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*I put this in Montessori on purpose because there is a focus on the child only being in places he/she can get to.

I'm trying to find ways to shower when my now sitting, slightly scooting 6 month old is awake. I prefer to shower when she is sleeping, but it's not always possible. I've put her on a blanket on the floor before or a boppy pillow when the floor was cold and/or she was younger.

When my son was younger I put him either in a bouncy seat or a high chair (in the bathroom). I'm trying to avoid this, if I can.

Did you just babyproof (as much as possible) the bathroom and shut the door, add toys and baby? Right now I've got cat food in the bathroom, though I'm sure I can move it for shower time.

I also need some things (like the toilet and trash can) to be available for my 3 year old.

How did/do/would you solve this?
#2 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 PM

I would put the lid down on the toilet and get a trash can with a lid and foot pedal. Then just add a few toys and a baby, and shut the door. If, at some point she starts lifting the lid to the toilet and flushing her toys, you will have to decide if you want to put a lock on the toilet seat (maybe just for shower time) or just teach her not to mess with it. I used to put random things in the floor like a shoe box and a hair brush that he wasn't used to playing with, and that would keep his attention long enough for me to do what I needed to do. I also sometimes took a bath rather than a shower, because he liked being able to see me and talk to me. If your little one doesn't mind the water, you might even put a towel or bath mat down in the shower (so it's soft and not slippery) and let her splash while you shower. That is, as long as she isn't likely to fall over from sitting. If so, maybe try that in a few months when she's a little stronger.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#3 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 PM

I wore dd in the shower until she was about a year old and decided to get bothered by water on her face. At that point she was stable enough to just sit at my feet and play.
#5 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM

Another good idea is to get a clear shower curtain so you can see her while you're in there.

I'll bet your 3yo could operate this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=85216

Leave the trash can in the hall until you're done showering.
#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Maybe this wasn't very "safe" of me but I put my twins in the bedroom attached to the bathroom and just showered. Even with clear shower curtains or a glass door, I feel like with all the steam you can't really see what's going on anyway, so it didn't feel that much further removed for me to have them out of my direct line of sight. The room I had them in didn't have any furniture and was hard to get in trouble in.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#7 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Wow. Really, Poppan? Maybe I'm too big a worrywart at that age to have a babe out of my sight. *shudder*
#8 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 PM

Yeah I really did. I didn't think much of it at the time... maybe I was in too much of a fog to worry. But really I think I'm just on the side of worrying too little.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page